14

Arjun stood in the kitchen, looking out at where Shruti was frantically rushing around the backyard of their home, trying to make sure everything was perfect for Aryan's first birthday party. It was originally going to be at a local restaurant, but the abnormally warm January weather has allowed them to host it at home, which meant the children would be able to run around and play, as they were meant to do at birthday parties.

"She's insane," Arohi spoke up as she joined him from the living room, the birthday boy settled on her hip. "There is no way this won't be the most perfect first birthday party of all time. What more can she possibly be doing?"

"My wife is a perfectionist," Arjun smiled fondly. "She and I have that in common." He took his son. "Aryan, are you ready for your party?"

"Yeah," Aryan nodded. "Ma?"

"She's outside," Arjun pointed. "Your friends will be here soon so she's getting ready for them."

"You know he doesn't understand you, right?" Arohi smirked. "He's one."

Arjun rolled his eyes. "You've not even given birth yet, so excuse me if I ignore any judgment you make on my parenting skills."

"She's going to be an excellent mother," Neil said as he walked into the kitchen, followed by the rest of the Punj clan. "I do not doubt that."

"Time will tell," Shivam joked, earning an elbow to the ribs from Ananya. "I'm only kidding. She puts up with all of us on tour, so I'm sure she can easily handle one baby."

Arjun laughed as Aryan reached for Shanaya. "I like how you so cavalierly say 'one baby' as though it's a walk in the park to raise one."

"You've managed not to kill Jules in his first year," Shivam reasoned. "And without Shruti, you're a mental case."

"But my baby is perfect," Shruti bragged as she made her way inside. "Most babies aren't." She glanced at her best friend. "But yours will be, too, of course."

"Mm-hmm," Arohi replied. "Well, we find out what we're having on Monday, so we'll know soon enough if I'll have a girl to fight with forever or Neil will have a son who feels he can never live up to his father."

"Arohi," Neil sighed. "Must you see everything so pessimistically?"

"I must," she winked at him. "What time does this party start? I'm getting hungry, and those tacos are calling my name."

"Guests should arrive at two," Shruti reported. "It's one-thirty now, so go on out and eat if you all would like. I'm going to change Aryan into his party outfit. Arjun, will you help me?"

"Of course," he agreed, taking Aryan back from his sister to follow his wife up to the nursery on the third floor. "Everything outside looks great, sweetheart. Your best party, by far."

"Well, it's our baby's first," she shrugged as if it were obvious. "He deserves the best of everything."

They had agreed upon a nature theme for the party, so Aryan wore a green, long-sleeve shirt with a big number one on it, paired with khakis and matching shoes. Shruti had insisted the two of them should match the theme, as well, so Arjun was wearing navy pants with an oatmeal-colored henley, while she wore brown corduroy pants, a pale pink top, and a flower crown on her head.

"You look so handsome," Shruti cooed over the toddler as she held him up to inspect his outfit. "Doesn't he, Papa?"

"Oh, yes," Arjun confirmed. "He looks like his dad."

Shruti smiled. "I'm glad he does. You're my two handsome men."

Arjun kissed her cheek. "You're the most beautiful woman I know."