22

MANUEL

I came back home after what happened. I guess I was inspired by Officer Mike I got a text from my friends, whom I haven't seen in what feels like forever.

Z: hey guys wanna hang im bored
N: yeah, where?
B: I'm feeling the mall
N: omg yesss
W: no
B: why?
W: too much people
M: hi
Z: oh my gosh Manuel r u ok
M: I am now
N: how are things 4 u?
M: I have therapy tomorrow after school
B: that's good, how come u weren't at school today?
M: um it's nothing to worry about
Z: uh ok...should we be there by 5?
M: idk if I'm gonna go
N: whyyy you haven't seen us in forever
M: true
B: pleasee comeee
M: alright
Z: I don't have a ride
M: I can pick you all up, only if u guys want
N: okay yeah pick us up

I don't know if I was ready. I mean, I haven't talked to them altogether in a group since the party. I had to get ready.

I dressed up, putting bandages over my cuts. I hope nothing awkward happens. I put my jeans on. I looked at the mirror. I felt ugly. I looked the scars I had on my back. My mom walked into my room. I jumped. I didn't want her to see the scars on my back. "What do you want, ma?" I asked. "I wanted to apologize about earlier. I'm sorry I ignored one of your first calls for help." She said. "Yeah, that's alright. You know I can't stay mad at you forever." I said. "Thank you. Now how do I look?" She said. "You look spectacular, but where are you going?" I asked. "I'm going on a date with my boyfriend. He's going to come over on the weekend so he can meet you." She said.

"Okay, I guess. Stay safe. I'm going out with my friends to the mall." I said. "Shit! I have to go mom. Love you!" I yelled while running to get my car keys. "Love you more, Manny!" She yelled.

Once I picked up everyone, it was an awkward car ride. "So, your dad is in jail now?" Ben asked. "Yeah. My mom is taking him to court." I said. "And how do you feel about that?" Nadiya asked. "Um... I don't really..." I stuttered. "How is your mom?" Ben asked. "Um she's..." I couldn't even finish my first sentence. "Most importantly, how are you?" "How come you weren't at school?" "Are you happy that you are getting help?"

The questions went on and on. I couldn't really process an answer for each. They were talking too fast. I felt like my head was going in circles. I nearly lost control of the car. The cars driving were honking at me. I didn't know what to do. Walton, Nadiya, and Ben were screaming. Zacharie was trying to get his hand on the wheel so we could get to safety. Luckily, he managed to do so.

Once we pulled over somewhere, I sighed. Everything was quiet. I was disappointed. For once, I thought maybe if I hang out with my friends I could at least look on the bright side. "You could have killed us! What was going on in your head?" Nadiya said. "Sorry." I said.

"Sorry?! Listen, I know that you are going through a rough time but you need to think clearly when you are on the road." Nadiya said. "I don't know what was going on in my head. You guys just kept asking questions." I said. "Okay. Maybe I should drive." Zach said. "Yeah, for our safety." Ben said.

We went to the mall. I realized I forgot my wallet in my car. "Guys, I forgot my wallet in my car. I'll be back." I said. "You don't want anyone to come with you?" Nadiya asked. "No, I'm fine." I said. Little did I know that I was not going to be fine.

When I was walking to my car. I saw the group of boys that harmed me. I feel like they are always following me. I tried to not make eye contact with them, but they found me anyway. "Well look who it is! Mr. Popular Fuckboy." One of the boys said.

"Today was fun, wasn't it?" The boy that raped me said. "No, it wasn't." I whispered under my breath. They pinned me against a car. "What was that?" The boy asked. "Nothing! I swear!" I said. "That's what I thought." The boy said. "Listen, we got to run. But expect to see us more." They said while walking away, laughing.