viii. bad idea

▋## cruel summer

▋## cruel summer .ᐟ
// chapter viii. bad idea.

JULY 7TH, 1986. DAY THREE OF CAMP. 8:28PM.

"WHAT THE FUCK, BLAIR!" Roger yelled, stumbling back at the sight of Saul's now-lifeless body beside the campfire. "What the actual fuck just happened?"

Coco's shaking hands covered her mouth, which threatened to let out a scream at the scene. She was lost for words. She just watched her fellow counsellor die. What the hell was meant to be her next move?

"I'm sorry, was that too much for you? Want me to give you a taster of what he just felt?" Blair jerked her head to where Saul lay, speaking in a tone that no one had ever heard her use before. "You know, you're the reason this is happening. All of you."

Roger swallowed hard. "Look, Blair. We don't want to hurt you. We'll tell you what you want to know."

"I want to know who killed Theo, or is that too much to ask for?" she shrugged, tilting her head as her gaze flicked between the two of them.

"We don't know that. We've never known that," Roger responded, his hands trembling but he kept his voice sounding steady – somehow.

Blair sighed heavily. "That's not a fucking answer. It's a simple question, really." her hand gripped the knife's handle tighter as she continued, "Clearly, you know something. You all wouldn't be acting so secretive if you didn't. You were there that night, at midnight."

Coco's hands fell back to her side once again, but her eyes were still wide and alert. She looked as if she wanted to defend herself but couldn't bring herself to do so. "Blair. . .you can't just. . .you can't just kill us all off! That won't change anything!" her voice was nervous, but she couldn't just stand here and say nothing. "This isn't one of your horror movies. It's real life."

Her words only made Blair's long for vengeance rise. "You truly think there's another way? Because there isn't."

Coco said something she was soon going to regret. "You have to let it go."

Blair's eyes narrowed at the girl. "Let it go? You really think, after all I've done, after all I've put myself through to get here, I'm just going to let it go? You don't get it, Coco. Of course you wouldn't." Her voice had a real sense of threat in it. Blair knew she could easily kill both of them right now if she really wanted, but she couldn't do that without making them suffer first. "So what's it gonna be? You tell me the truth? Or do I have to use this to get it out of you?" she raised the knife in the air slightly, hoping it would push them over the edge.

"Blair, you can't really–"

Coco tried talking it through again, but Roger couldn't deal with it anymore. As Blair's focus was on Coco, he used it as his chance to jump forward from Blair's left, pushing her over to the hard ground still illuminated by the fire, silently thanking Coco for distracting the other girl for a brief moment. The knife slipped out of her grasp as she made contact with the ground, causing her to intake a sharp breath. She landed on her arm, the sudden pain leaving her momentarily frozen. Coco grabbed the knife from where it had sprawled to the ground, her hands shaking as she waited for Blair's next move.