chapter three

A former genius; and long forgotten.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

YOU COULD HEAR the sound of yells the moment you take a step inside the monitoring room. And you weren't exaggerating if you said there were lots of monitors inside the room, there were many many and they were glowing. The room was dark and the only light that was available was from the multiple screens attached to the wall. You kept a nonchalant look, scanning your eyes among the monitors before looking at someone that caught your attention.

In front of the screens, there was a figure; she had her eyes focused on her team not bothering to greet you nor Anri, who was ahead of you. Her eyes were shining; their team is winning— you can tell. Who in the world would even smile hysterically like a madman during the first day?

"This is where you'll be familiarizing your team's abilities. In the next round you'll be monitoring them in the field." Anri takes a peek at your figure. Although, she really couldn't tell what expression you were making— were you frowning? Who knows. Maybe she should request for more light in this dark room. "Oh, and, this is team X's manager, Hirotoka Kita. I suggest you both have a formal greeting after this match."

"I doubt we will." You got to mumble the words before looking what lies ahead of you.

3-0, assuming Team Z will be in your care but to be honest. All they've been doing are shitty plays. They're not fit to be a player— not even as a U-20 player. You questioned why they even joined in when they're weak. Maybe a push can take them down and make them realize they won't achieve their goal. Its making your heart beat like crazy, this time its are starting to get exciting.

'Crush them.' It says.

Anri takes a glance at your figure. This time she got a proper glance at your face however the face she was expecting was different from her mind. You kept a composed posture yet there was a creature lurking behind your figure. It was a monster, Anri couldn't really believe it. Your face getting annoyed as it whispers to your ear, murmuring things Anri couldn't understand very well. She blinks and in a split second it disappears. The brunette does not know where it went— or was it just because she hasn't gotten any proper sleep recently?

Real or not, it still gave Anri goosebumps.

The silence — well, it wouldn't be really called silence when twenty-two men are yelling in the monitors but either ways — the silence was unsettling. Anri should be used to it now but it was bothering her. She can even differentiate between the atmosphere before you came. Just what did you bring into this facility? Anri can't stop questioning it.

Anri gulps. She knew your condition. They've done background checks on each candidates and players and amongst all, you've been floating in her mind for the past few days.

A former genius; and long forgotten.

"May I say something?" You break the silence. Anri perks her head at the sound of your voice. "Yes?"

"Do I really have to manage them?" It's not like you have anything against them or anything but out of the teams out there, does it really have to be them?

Anri couldn't really pinpoint exactly what you were trying to ask. She thought she had already answered those kinds of questions minutes ago before the candidates can step foot inside this huge building. In this building where you have to trust no one but yourself to survive, to build, to see yourself at the top. A place where other people stays behind your back and moving forward on your own.