Part 6

Next day at school, Stacey couldn't wait till the dismissal bell to ring. She had a silly grin on her face all day. Kate noticed it, but she didn't say a thing, she was just glad to see her friend smiling again.

Finally when the bell rang, Stacey dashed to the exit. When she arrived at Marcy's Ann was already waiting for her at a table. Ann saw her and stood up greeting her with an amazing smile. Stacey felt her heart thump loudly in her chest.

-"hi" said Ann.

-"hi" Stacey returned her smile.

Ann leaned in for a kiss on the cheek and at the same time Stacey held out her hand for a handshake. They both laughed.

-"well, which is it going to be?" asked Ann.

-"hmm. How about both?" suggested Stacey.

-"I like the way you think." said Ann with a smile.

They shook hands and kissed amicably on the cheek, but instead of parting right away, Ann held Stacey's hand a bit longer and said softly in her ear, almost whispering.

-"you look really nice."

She pulled away and smiled when she saw Stacey's blushing cheeks.

-"thanks. You look very nice too."

They sat down and ordered. It was awkward at first but then they relaxed and started chatting. Their talk was friendly. They were taking things slow. Getting to know each other better first. To their surprise they had a lot of things in common. They hardly noticed the hours passing by. Finally they ordered the check and left but only because they started getting a few stern looks from the manager, because it had begun to get crowded and they were hogging the table. As they stood outside the restaurant, the awkwardness returned. They stood silently for a few moments. Then Ann said:

-"What are you doing tomorrow after school?"

-"why?" asked Stacey.

-"um, I was wondering if you'd like to do this again."

-"sure." said Stacey enthusiastically.

Then she coughed trying to hide her eagerness.

Ann noticed and gave her a sweet smile.

-"but I'm guessing someplace other than here," Ann said pointing to the restaurant behind them.

-"I don't think we're very welcomed in there anymore."

Stacey laughed and suggested:

-"how 'bout Anthony's pizzeria?"

-"sounds good." said Ann. Then they fell silent again.

-"um, you want a ride home?" asked her Ann.

-"yeah, thanks." accepted Stacey. Her house was only a walking distance away but she definitely didn't want to say goodbye to Ann just yet.

Ann opened the passenger's side to her sports car and Stacey got in. They drove quietly. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence. On the contrary, they were enjoying each other's company. Words between them weren't that important.

When they got to Stacey's house, Stacey noticed Kate's car pulling up her driveway. She quickly ducked. Ann looked at her in surprise.

-"what�s wrong?" she asked.

-"It's Kate!"

-"so?"

-"I don't want her to see me! Please drop me off round the corner."