CHAPTER 18

THE RULERS, THE MOON, THE PEOPLE

"Tell her she's the noor of my eyes and the sultan of my heart." - A Thousand Splendid Suns

AASHNI OBEROI

"Aashni, I just don't see the need for this. What was wrong with my other dresses?" my mom pouted, staring at herself in the mirror.

"Mom, this is a royal ball. There hasn't been one for centuries! The least you can do is wear the dress I chose for you."

Aradhya Oberoi was a beautiful woman but more importantly, she was an intelligent woman who had made quite a career for herself in both the human film industry and the werewolf film industry. Though she only worked on projects with werewolves as of late, her latest projects have actually been her best.

After a simple text, stating she was coming home, my mom returned to the Oberoi Estate with the demand that my father move out, and I quote, "Live with his business partner since he loves being where he doesn't belong so much."

So yes, I wanted my mom to wear the plum evening gown that looked like it was made for her because I knew how much she loved dressing up. It would be worth all the nagging if I got to see her lips quirk up in a smile and the sadness leave her eyes.

"I suppose you have a point..." she took the dress from me and went to go put it on in the bathroom.

In the past month, a lot of things became obvious. One, my family was broken. I had no idea how we were all going to survive this night, especially with the press there to dissect every interaction between us. Two, my dad was depressed. This whole thing was taking a toll on him and he refused to eat unless someone stopped by his hotel room and forced him to do it. Taaran had been doing it for the most part and Rivan had simply said "Let the bastard starve for all I care." Three, my mom would be okay. She wasn't okay for a while and I had even moved back into my old room for the time being to check in on her regularly, but slowly things shifted. She was definitely still sad and nowhere near how she used to be, but she was starting to live a little again.

"I-I don't know, Aashni. This seems like too much," my mom said, stepping back into her room from the ensuite bathroom. She looked stunning, the dress was made for her and I cursed my dad for debilitating her confidence. Once upon a time, she would have looked at herself in that dress, done a little hair flip, and told me how dresses were her first love.

"You're beautiful, mom, don't doubt it."

She smiled, her lipstick shade matching the deep purple of her dress.

"What did I do to raise such a wonderful daughter."

"Must've adopted me."

"Oh, hush. You are absolutely gorgeous in that dress, darling."

I swished the skirt of my navy blue dress, watching as it glimmered in the light.

"Thank you. I've always loved a blue dress."

Though, I preferred tiny dresses that hugged my figure. They were easier to move in and less of a hassle. This dress made me feel like a princess when I tried it on so it seemed fitting for a ball at the royal palace. I'd even put my hair in a low bun at the nape of my neck. Some of the hair was in an elaborate braid that made a crown at the top of my head and I had even pulled out a few pieces of hair to frame my face. It was a new hairstyle for me but it worked perfectly with the dress.

"Come on now, we don't want to miss our ride," I said.