15: Fears and Jen

15, Fears and Jen

15, Fears and Jen

    "Hey, what happen to your finger?"

   Nancy's voice was soft and sweet, like dripping honey, and her gaze on Jen's sliced finger was more than gentle. They were walking in the woods, towards Jonathan. Jen stared down at her wrapped up finger. "Um.. nothing. Just a small slip up. It's no big deal."

  "You sure?"

  Jen nodded gently, the bandaid around her finger felt all too tight now with this new attention. "Yeah. Don't worry." Nancy nodded softly, with a small smile. "Alright then.."

   The two we're getting closer to Jonathan. Bullets echoed like children wailing at night.

   Jonathan wasn't making any shots.

   "You're supposed to hit the cans, right?" Nancy's voice sounded out through the trees, sweet and teasing. Jen beamed.

   Jonathan's eyes fell on both girls. He smiled a little. "No, actually, you see the spaces in between the cans? I'm aiming for those." There was clear sarcasm. Nancy hummed, a smile. "Ah."

   The girls put down their bags. Jonathan's gaze zeroing in on Nancy. "You ever shot a gun before?"

   Nancy scoffed with a soft laugh. "Have you met my parents?" Jonathan's eyes moved to Jen, "you?" Jen sighed, fingertips picking at her jean overalls. "Nope. My sister shot one of our windows one time when she was fifteen."

   Nancy and Jonathan stared at the girl, alarmed. Jen smiled, faintly. "It wasn't a big deal. She was trying to make my mom mad. Missed my head by a foot."

   Nancy's lips parted, no words. Jonathan hummed. "Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten. My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."

   "A rabbit?"

   Jonathan worked on reloading the gun. "Yeah. I guess he thought it would make me into more of a man or something. I cried for a week."