26: Fill The Hole In My Chest?

26, Fill The Hole In My Chest?

           Violet Harrington could seem to tell when something was wrong with the young teenage boy, who was somehow her father after countless mistakes with a girl who hadn't loved him but his attention

Violet Harrington could seem to tell when something was wrong with the young teenage boy, who was somehow her father after countless mistakes with a girl who hadn't loved him but his attention. Violet could not stop her tears. Something in her chemicals was off when Steve held her. She could feel his tension. He was uncomfortable and it made Violet uncomfortable, yet she couldn't let go of him either.

Her crying was driving Steve up a wall. He didn't understand. He couldn't get it. He felt sick for it, but why couldn't she shut the fuck up? He was nearly so close to putting a knife between his eyes. He felt like crying too.

Jen had gently whispered to him as he crossed the living room and kitchen, back and forth with a bouncing, crying baby on his hip. Maybe I should give you two some space. Maybe she misses you. Steve hadn't wanted Jen to go, she could probably see that in his eyes. But he had just nodded and Jen smiled very small at him. A kiss pressed to his cheek and one pressed to Violet's head of brown waves. She promised to be back later.

Now, she sat in her run down car in front of what use to be her own home. That shit four walled trailer that housed so much abuse and death. Jen watched the yellow tape flap around it in the fall wind, and from where she sat she could see part of the hole in the ceiling her sister hung from.

The girl let out a sigh as she pushed open her car door. It was horribly quiet in the trailer park this evening. She's sure Alex's death had hushed up this little lot of people that had seen how much of a mess she'd been. Maybe they felt bad about how they treated her now. Guilty.

Jen felt guilty too. She hadn't even known Alex was in Hawkins.

Jen just stood before her trailer with hands shoved into the pockets of a zip up. She wasn't sure if she was meant to be living with people anymore. She was so used to living alone. To being alone.

"I heard through the grapevine that you're living off Stevie now."

The world around her came to a quick slow. Her heart stopped beating and her fist balled up quick. For a moment her mind just went white. She didn't move, she couldn't. How could she? The foot steps from behind her crunched against the dying ground and ended up next to her. "Least you could do is look at me, Little J."