Chapter Ten

Kouyou pov

I have to say, I wasn't hoping to spend my only day off in weeks like this. The words Norbury High are etched into the wall above the double doors of the building. I haven't been here in years. I don't miss it.

I sigh and walk into the building, past the security guard in the lobby who just nods at me. Kinda loose security. I make my way down the hallway to where I remember the principal's office being. I think. The door says Office on it.

I push it open and enter a small room. Two women sit behind a desk, typing furiously at their computers. A few chairs line the wall, and there are posters up everywhere with things like You can do it! and Believe in yourself! Bullshit.

One of the women looks up. "Kouyou Ozaki?" She asks. I nod. "Okay, they're waiting for you in there."

She points to the door to the side of the room that says Principal Fukuzawa. Still principal, I guess. I'm surprised he's still alive. I snort to myself before thanking the secretaries and walking into Fukuzawa's office.

It's just like I remember it, the walls painted a light blue, and with minimal decoration except for the katana on the wall behind the desk, proudly displayed. There are a few chairs facing the desk, and Chuuya occupies one of them.

"Hello, Kouyou, come in." Fukuzawa says, waving me over from his desk. I take a seat next to Chuuya. His face is slightly bruised, and he's slouching in his chair, glaring at the principal.

"God, what'd you do now?" I ask him. "You're lucky today's my day off."

Fukuzawa clears his throat. "Chuuya got into a fight, apparently he threw the first punch. We have to discuss proper punishment." This dumbass.

I roll my eyes. "Why'd you go and do that?"

Chuuya glares at me. "He was making fun of Akutagawa, so I punched him. Simple. I'm not apologizing."

"Did you win, at least?"

Chuuya rolls his eyes. "Duh."

"Oh, that's it? Okay." I stand up to go. Jeez, they called me here for something so trivial? I don't have time for this. I was planning to get a manicure today, too...

"Kouyou, where are you going?" Fukuzawa asks me.

"Home." I say. "I really don't see what the problem is here. If you're strong, you use that to help those you love. That's what he did. If the other guy was being an ass, that's his problem, not mine."

"We need to discuss a punishment for starting a fight." Fukuzawa says calmly.

I think for a moment. "Okay, Chuuya, wash all the dishes for the next week. Okay, great. Punishment. I'm leaving now."

"I already wash all the dishes." Chuuya grumbles.

"Shut your goddamn mouth." I snarl back.

Fukuzawa audibly sighs. "I see you haven't changed since you attended this school, Kouyou."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, sitting myself back down next to Chuuya.

"Same temper, same sense of justice."

I roll my eyes. "And I still have no idea what the hell you're ever saying, old man."

He sighs for what has to be the millionth time. My eye twitches. "Kouyou, we can't just have students going off and starting fights without punishment. It sets a bad example."

"Well, if he started the fight for a good reason I really don't see what the problem is."

Chuuya pipes up. "Yeah, I-"