Chapter Eleven

2 days later

Chuuya pov

Dazai slaps his books onto the table in front of me. "Hey bestie!!!" He says, taking the seat next to me.

"We're not besties." I say, not even looking up from my texts with Higuchi.

He leans over my shoulder and looks at my phone, his hair slightly brushing against my face. "We're best friends now, remember? I told your sister that two days ago."

"Well, don't. Untell her." I put my phone down and look up before realizing that his face is about 2 inches away from mine. I feel myself turn red. "Anyways, let's get started. Where's your homework?"

"Aaaahhh, not homewooork." He groans and slouches down in his chair.

"DO YOU WANNA GET GOOD GRADES OR NOT" I snap. "I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS?"

"Oh, yeah are you ever gonna ask that guy out?" He asks, sitting back up.

"I- I- well-"

"Cause, I mean, if you're not going to, then-"

"I am! I mean, I will! I just- don't know how."

He rolls his eyes at me. "I'm literally right here."

I glare at him. "I'm sorry, have you ever asked anyone out?"

"No, but I've been asked out."

"Have you ever even dated anyone?"

"No." He responds simply.

This takes me by surprise. I mean, looking at him, you'd think he was such a playboy. I guess not. "Really? You?" I ask.

"Look, I know I'm very attractive, but yes, I've turned down every person who's asked me out."

"Why?"

"Simple. I don't deserve happiness." For a second I think I see something flicker behind his eyes, something darker than their usual shade of brown. But then it's gone. He smiles at me. "Anyways, so you need to find the perfect time to ask him out, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Okay, what about an important day to him- or like, some place with pretty scenery."

"We have a basketball game tomorrow."

Dazai raises an eyebrow. "You want to ask him out at your basketball game? Not exactly the most romantic setting. What if you lose?"

I blush. "Well- we both like basketball, so why not! We just won't lose!"

"Okay, I guess. I know! I'll disguise myself in the audience and be your moral support in case you get rejected!"

"YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ENCOURAGING ME HERE, GOD!" I yell.

"Chuuya, keep your voice down, this is a library! I wouldn't sweat it. I have a feeling he might like you too."

"Really?"

For a second I swear I see that shadow pass behind his eyes again, but it disappears. Weird.

"Really." He says, and gives me a half smile. "Okay, so here's the plan: tomorrow after the game, you find him and maybe take him outside somewhere, like the courtyard or something. Then, you ask him to go out with you. If yes, then you guys will be happy and my work here will be done. If no, come crying to me and I'll give you a best friend hug."

"For the last time- ugh, nevermind. Thanks, Dazai." I give him a smile-grimace, which is the best he deserves. His face lights up. "Okay, now get out your homework."