Chapter I - Proposals

My name is Astraea Conwenna. I was born in the Kingdom of Glæma, on the 190th year of the actual house reign, the house of Scevola. My father is the Duke of Conwenna, which you'd think it is something good at least. The dukes are only second to the royal family, theoretically, having many lands, money and power. Albeit the beautiful title, the duke is only regarded as so in name. For many generations the house of Conwenna has been considered a house of idiots. Once it was filled with powerful warriors, great economists and wise statesman. But that was once upon a fairy tale. My grandfather made many terrible investments and lost a great part of our land and money. He literally sold a goldmine in exchange for a horse. My father married my mother, a wise woman but of low status, which was the only good decision he made all his life, but cheated on her so many times and had so many extramarital children that I suspect many of those were just con-artists. His greatest saying is: "no gold in this world can compare with a beautiful woman and a tasty wine". You can guess where the rest of the family money went.

Luckily, as the third legitimate daughter, and the seventh children overall, I was raised by my aunt, my mother's sister, Arya Shalhevet. Never married, she was exiled from her own family and took refuge with her youngest sister, my mother. Some say she pretended to be a man and joined the army, but was discovered and her father plead for her life; other say she fell in love with a woman and tried to elope, but was caught. Nevertheless, she was always had a strong aura and faced everyone without fear. Everything I've ever learnt, I owe it to her. I may have my mother eyes and my father's nose, but my life was molded by aunt Shalhevet. And I was pretty determined to have a future like hers: never get married and spend the rest of my life training and studying with auntie. However, my plans were ruined by my idiotic father.

At that point in my life, twenty-two years old and not living in the main house, I thought my father for sure forgot my existence. And that thought was filled with joy: if the main family forgot my existence, I wouldn't have to act like a noble lady; no need to go to tea parties or to be courted by spoiled brats. However, the king was in search of a suitable wife for his third son and daddy remembered his disposable daughter who had just the right age and no fiancé. And so, in a beautiful morning as auntie and I trained sword in the backyard, a letter arrived. An unrefusable invitation for tea in the royal palace.

"Do I really have to go? Can't I just pretend to be sick?", I asked auntie, fake tears dropping.

"Sorry, girl, but if you pretend to be sick, they will just set another date". Auntie said laughing at my crying face.

"Can't I run away? I will get some man's clothes just like auntie!"

"And how did that end for me?", she said, disappointed.

"But auntie trained me well, I can do it!"

"Just go child. This isn't even an engagement party yet. You're just meeting".

"That's right!", I smiled, "He can still hate me!"

"You better behave, or I'll be mad too".

"Just leave it to me, I can definitely do it!"

"Do what?" She asked, but I didn't answer. I had to finish my planning.

Although aunt Shalhevet recommended me to behave, my freedom and future were more important. I never paid much attention to the court and its members, so I had to seek the help of my closest – and only – friend, Countess Sybil Kovač. Better than any official, she knew everything about everyone.

"Sister!", I exclaimed as I saw her arriving in the next day. The palace event was in less than a week, I needed as much information as possible.

"Sister!". She ran and hugged me. A manipulative lady and a great strategist, a master in etiquette and a Machiavellian schemer. How could I ask for a better best friend? "I came for a game. What do you have for me?" She was also addicted to gaming and would do anything for a new game.