Chapter IX - Business

It has been one week since the prospectus duke Llywelyn Conwenna arrived; also, a week since his imprisonment started. We have guards stationed in the perimeter and only one maid to serve his meals. Except for her, he hasn't seen anyone. Princess Astrea sends him letters every day, questioning him. But all his answers were considerate inadequate.

Today, Mrs. Wa Yuexi scheduled a meeting. Her associates, Ms. Ionesco and Ms. Bandyopadhyay, have been working with some selected servants to collect some materials. Even as the head of the servants, I'm not fully aware of the objective behind all this. Earlier, they asked for a grand room and positioned many plant pots and animal bones. I had the strange sensation that some ritual would take place in that room.

"Naava", the princess called me while they finished organizing, "I'll see my brother for a moment. But it won't take long. Tell the maids to help them finish and come with me. Oh, and bring some tea. Brother must be thirsty".

"Of course, your highness".

We went to the distant room where her brother was being kept. She opened the door and the prospectus duke looked at us. I haven't seen him since they brough him here; his demeanor has changed completely. His hair was a mess; his normally shaved face disappeared; his eyes were red signalizing the lack of sleep.

"What do you want, dear sister?", he hissed.

"Don't forget, brother. You are a guest in my room. I'm allowed to go wherever I want here. While you, must behave. And, according to my maid's report, you've been a terrible guest".

"I'm not your guest, I'm your prisoner".

"We are not there, yet. If you were our prisoner, you wouldn't be in such a beautiful bedroom, and you wouldn't have a bathroom".

"You are not allowed to..."

"Shhh", she said with a finger on her lips. "You better not say what I'm allowed or not. You're in my house, and here I'm the one giving orders. You must obey them. Otherwise, things will get much worse. You don't want that, do you?"

"You fu..."

He tried to say something, but she put one hand on her lips and the other quickly drew the sword she kept under her skirt.

"Now, let's all calm down. I don't want to dirty the floor. Have some respect for the maids' work, won't you dear brother?", she smiled. "Naava, get some pen and paper. Take note of everything. Ah, and if this doesn't go well, send my other brothers some letters".

"Other brothers?", duke Llywellyn protested. "I'm your only brother".

"You forgot about dad's terrible habit of making kids and abandoning them? I can't believe it! Especially when those kids are coming for your neck every single day".

"You are betraying me to ally with those frauds?".

"Well, I may have left my house, but the Conwenna name stuck to me. I can't let it be dragged in the mud because the family is full of incompetent men. You can let the family be ruined, if you want, but I'm a filial daughter. I can't do that".

"You are no filial daughter; you are a deranged wench".

Before he finished his words, Astrea had drawn her sword and positioned it against his neck.

"I thought we could have an amicable and polite discussion, but I'm starting to believe I can't. What do you think? Should we go back to talking or should I give you another sword and let's see who draws the first blood? Let me tell you before that Ewan is a great teacher, and we have spent a lot of time using this blade". Duke Llywellyn couldn't say a word, his eyes stuck on Astrea's that showed the soul of a killer. He stayed there for a few seconds, sweating like a pig about to be slaughtered. Finally, he murmured.