Chapter III - Planning Ahead

"Dear Sybil,

My request may sound strange, but I promise to explain it later and to compensate you accordingly. I need a priest who can perform a wedding ceremony tonight. It must be as simple as possible, with only you and another trustworthy witness. Please find a suitable church and send me an emissary with the location. I'll meet you there.

My best regards,

Astrea".

When I finished reading her letter, I already had a priest and a church in mind. There are some few things in life that can light my interest: gossip, the spiciest are my favorite; games, especially the rare foreign ones; conspiracy, all of them; and prospectus duchess Astrea. The ladies of the court are as boring as they can be; the lords are disgusting and foolish. But the afternoons I stayed in the Conwenna's country house with Astrea were always exciting and unpredictable. Astrea was an untamed beast, kept away from what we called civilization and high society. How not to love it? And, today, she brings me another riveting situation.

"Helena?", I asked, calling my maid. She followed me like a shadow since I brought her to this house. I trained her to act like my dagger, stirring chaos in society for me to enjoy and keeping my life less dull. She could never betray me, because she loved chaos almost as much as me.

"Yes, Milady". As if coming out of nowhere, she appeared beside me.

"We have an interesting situation in hands. Call Father Austell and reserve the Moonglade Chapel for tonight. Make sure it's empty and that no one will bother us".

"Yes, Milady".

"Itzal". If Helena was my right hand, Itzal was my left. Born as a slave, but trained by me to be the most outstanding butler, and also hot. I intended to keep him for the eye candy, but he was indeed a competent and loyal follower.

"At your service, Milady".

"Send a message to prospectus duchess Astrea to meet us at Moonglade Chapel".

"As you wish".

"Ah... And get her a beautiful bride's dress". It would be delightful to see that ruffian girl dressed as a well-mannered lady.

I arrived at the chapel to meet with Father Austell. One of my hobbies was to collect handsome and loyal men; Father Austell was both. He is a rare type whose vocation really was the church, and who chose never to abuse his position and to dutifully comply with his responsibilities. Unfortunately, he had no interest in woman, nor man. I couldn't even tease him. Luckily, he had an easy weak point: his love for ancient scriptures.

"What a lovely evening, isn't it?"

"It was before you arrived. I was having a great time studying". That was his way of asking what he would get.

"I just ordered some new materials I think you'd enjoy". Upon hearing my words his mood changed drastically and a happy childish smile appeared.

"Indeed, it's a lovely evening. Where are the bride and groom?"

"They are coming". Just after I said that, my dear friend appeared accompanied by Itzal.

"You can really do anything, Sybil". She was having a hard time walking with a wedding dress, as if that was heavier than a silver armor.

"Everything for my best friend", I approached her with a smile, "Now, explain".

As a child who had just be caught doing something wrong, she blushed and started to recount the events of the day. The proposal, she explained, surge as a joke, a dream-like situation that grew more real as they talked about it. From a pre-nuptial agreement to a magical contract, a plan was concocted and put in practice. A part of me was really proud: my little beast has matured. My baby was already scheming; this was a once in a life time opportunity.