Chapter Six

The Sapphire Suite was eerily the same, considering how much Cressida's situation had changed.

Had it not been for the lack of light streaming through the stained-glass window in the hallway, and the fact that she was dressed in little more than a nightshift, she could easily imagine that she had gone back in time to just hours prior.

Prince Callidus' arm felt the same underneath her fingertips as he led her inside her new cozy prison cell. She tried not to lean too heavily against him, but it was difficult given her exhaustion and the prince's gentle encouragements to do so.

In an instant Callidus closed the door behind them and plunged the room into moon tinted darkness. It took several moments for her eyes to adjust from the well-lit hallway, although Callidus seemed to have no trouble as he guided Cressida to one of the twin settees.

"Have a seat, Princess." He murmured in the same soothing tone he had been using during their walk from the prison.

"No one stopped you."

"Hm?"

"I thought the guards were going to stop you."

Callidus gently lowered his arm, guiding the princess into the seat. "They would never attempt to." he said calmly.

The settee was soft. So much softer than the prison floor. Her body sunk into it graciously, savoring the feeling. Her eyes fluttered shut, and she heard the settee in front of her shift as Callidus sat down.

There was a moment of silence.

And then.

"Would you like to go to sleep, Princess? We can discuss this in the morning."

Cressida's eyes opened.

"Ah, no." she replied, even as her body fought against her words. "No." she repeated. "Thank you."

She purposefully focused on the man in front of her, her eyes adjusting to the hazy grey of the room.

"Very well." He murmured. He sat relaxed with his hands comfortably resting in his lap, his head tilted slightly to one side. "What was it you wanted to ask me?"

Cressida took a steady breath, before responding. "You said...poison?"

"Yes."

"Do they...know what kind? Or how it was administered?"

Callidus observed her, one eyebrow raising as if he were surprised by the question. He answered her regardless. "It was a slow acting poison, and it was ingested."

"What kind of poison was it?" Cressida pressed. "I might be able to help. I study botany. I'm good at identifying and..." She trailed off, before her eyes widened.

Callidus watched her, brows raised in interest.

She blinked and let out a choked gasp. "Is that why I'm accused?"

Callidus silently gazed at her.

After a moment he confirmed, "One of the reasons."

"One?"

Cressida clenched her eyes shut, raising one hand to rub at the deep ridge of tension that formed across her forehead. She felt the tendrils of fear grip her, like ice cold wind down the back.

"I swear..." she muttered. "I swear I did not- I never would have-"

She felt a gentle touch on her knee, and she opened her eyes to see Callidus leaning forward, a mixture of curiosity and concern in his expression.