Chapter Twenty-nine

"Engagement banquet?"

The words felt heavy in Cressida's mouth, sticking to the sides of her throat.

Roslindis swept her arm up to curl around her son, holding him close to her, as she sighed. "I ought to apologize for ruining the surprise."

"Engagement banquet...?" Cressida repeated, "Callidus intends to propose to me?"

A whirlwind of complex emotions washed over her at the mere thought; an overwhelming combination of panic, surprise, fear, and a strange, almost giddy sensation swirled within her, leaving her lightheaded and dazed.

Roslindis carefully watched her expression, her head inclining in an elegant tilt. "I am surprised he has not already." She said, her tone curious. "He approached me with his intentions several weeks ago."

"...what do you mean?" Cressida finally asked, dry mouthed. "...he...sought your blessing?"

"Not quite." She murmured. "He asked for my mother's ring."

Cressida's eyes widened, "Did you give it to him?"

"How was I to say no in this situation?" Roslindis replied, curtly. "However, he took one look at my mother's ring and rejected it. Instead, he asked for the name of my personal jeweler."

Cressida let silence wash over them, stunned. Speechless.

"Was this truly a surprise to you, Your Highness? You must have known."

"...I...I didn't." Cressida said hoarsely.

For some reason, despite his repeated passionate confessions of love, there was a large part of Cressida that thought this was all a sick power play for Callidus. A game to keep him occupied while keeping her imprisoned. And she, in turn, played along, enjoying his presents and affections while deep down knowing it all would end when the investigation concluded, and she returned home to Eflia.

This revelation made it all too real.

This had never been a game to him.

And he had never intended to return her to Eflia.

Cressida's eyes shut tightly as she tried to regulate her breathing. "...perhaps it wasn't for a proposal. He's given me many pieces of jewelry."

Roslindis said nothing, but Cressida could feel the weight of her sympathetic stare. Though when Cressida opened her eyes, Roslindis averted her gaze to stare up at a nearby tapestry depicting a hunt for a brown hare.

"...the first time I saw my nephew smile was at that dinner with you." Roslindis said quietly, as she examined the scene, the rabbit hiding within the hollow of a tree, the hound waiting just outside, teeth bared. "He could not take his eyes off of you."

"...I know." Cressida acknowledged, unable to find the words to explain her strange relationship with Callidus. "He...he professed his love for me. He has been attentive and affectionate, showering me with bouquets and jewelry and music. But at the same time, he's hurt people. He threatened and imprisoned my people. He's kept me imprisoned...!"

Roslindis listened silently, as if she understood the turmoil Cressida was experiencing and the intricacy of her feelings.

"Love is a complex and contradictory force." Roslindis said slowly, her gaze focused on Cressida. "It is up to you to discern what is genuine and what is misguided."

Cressida let out a scoff of a laugh. "I've never been the best at discerning people's intentions. My Lady's maid said I'd let a candle consume me if I thought it looked pretty."