Chapter Eight

On day three of Cressida's captivity, she started to feel the weight of her situation. The initial shock of being accused of a crime she didn't commit had worn off, and now that she didn't even have the letter to concentrate on, she was left with the reality of her situation. She was alone in a foreign country, trapped in a gilded cage suspended in the air and not knowing when it would drop.

Callidus had joined her for each meal- now with much smaller portions as per her request, although he still didn't eat with her unless she pushed him. During his visits, Cressida had tried to engage him in conversation about the investigation, asking him questions about the poison, about the king's recovery, and about her people in incarceration. Although Callidus always answered her, he seemed dispassionate about the topic, preferring instead to ask her about herself, or to bring her things to keep her occupied.

Day four went by the exact same way.

"Have you heard anything, Mint?" Cressida asked the young woman as she plaited her hair for the night.

Mint's hands faltered, but she responded in a measured tone, "No, your highness. Just a bunch of rumors."

A yearning for any kind of information took over her, "What are the rumors?"

"I'm not sure they're worth repeating, your highness," Mint hesitated.

Cressida looked at Mint through the mirror, catching her gaze. "Please, Mint. I need to know. It's been two days since I've gotten any information," she said, trying to keep her voice steady.

Mint bit her lip, pausing with Cressida's red hair wrapped tightly around her fingers. "Well, there are whispers that the king is not doing well, despite what they're telling us. He hasn't left his room since Late Prince Ferox's death, although that is customary during the period of mourning. But then again some are saying that the King has been spending the period of mourning in the War room planning to attack Eflia."

Cressida's heart sank at the mention of her country. "What else have you heard?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Mint hesitated again before continuing. "There are also rumors that the investigation is not going well for you, your highness. Some say that the evidence against you is strong, and that they have found witnesses who claim to have seen you poisoning the wine."

"What?" Cressida exclaimed. "That's not true!"

"I am sorry, your highness," Mint replied, flinching slightly. "But rumors can be powerful, especially when people are looking for someone to blame."

Cressida clenched her eyes tight. She had been confident that the truth would come out and that she would be exonerated, but now it seemed that the situation was much more complicated than she had anticipated.

On day five, Callidus brought her a stack of books and sat with her on one of the golden settees as she read – or rather flipped through the pages despondently.

"Is something wrong, Princess?" Callidus asked after a while.

Cressida sighed and put down the book she was holding. "I just can't concentrate on reading right now," she admitted. "Although I appreciate all you've brought me."

The prince tilted his head, as if he couldn't quite understand.

Cressida desperately wanted to know if the rumors were true- any of them- but she didn't want to potentially get Mint in trouble, especially since the young woman seemed so afraid every time Callidus was mentioned.

"How is your father? Would I be able to speak to him?"

Callidus looked at her, his expression unreadable. "I'm afraid that's not possible, Princess," he said after a moment. "Although he has recovered, he is still in the period of mourning."