Last Minute Preparations

Takes place one week after "An Ember Court to Remember."

"You look worried."

By now, Renathal was so accustomed to the Maw Walker popping up beside him, he did not even blink at the sudden sound of her voice. Though, he did note she was standing rather closer than she might have done a week ago. Wayward strands of her long, dark hair fluttered against his shoulder in the courtyard's slight breeze.

"Well, last week's court was not an entirely smooth affair," Renathal replied, still scanning the distant, twilit sky for signs of flashing weapons or flapping wings.

"Maybe. The after party was lovely, though."

"Mmm."

Renathal's lips curled in spite of himself. The memory of the Maw Walker's naked legs wrapped around his hips, her heavy breathing in his ear, momentarily distracted him from his anxieties about another Stone Legion attack.

He glanced down, then did a double take as he registered the Maw Walker's odd appearance. As well as leaving her hair loose when she usually wore it up for court, she was dressed in the long robes that served as her battle armor. Possibly, she had not found time to replace her regular gown - ruined at last week's disastrous Ember Court - but the sight of her dressed for a fight refueled Renathal's nervous tension.

"Be that as it may," he said, resuming his inspection of the horizon, now searching for sinrunners or foot soldiers, any indication of what Denathrius might send his way. "I do not think the Ember Court's reputation will survive another assault. You have apprised the Maldraxxus forces of the potential dangers? And assigned extra volunteers to every entrance?

"Yes, and yes, and you've already asked me this. Twice."

The Maw Walker stepped in front of Renathal pointedly. She didn't quite block his view, being a good head shorter than he was, but Renathal adjusted his gaze to acknowledge her out of courtesy. She, however, looked everywhere else, head swiveling from side to side as she scrutinised the rest of the courtyard. The staff were all dutifully at their stations, preparing for the imminent arrival of the guests. And before Renathal could ask what she was searching for, the Maw Walker took his hand.

"Come."

She was pulling him back into the dilapidated spire, then pushing him into a shadowy corner half hidden by rubble. And Renathal - amused and aroused - allowed it.

The Maw Walker's hands framed his face as she dragged him down to her height to kiss him; a rapid stream of shallow, teasing kisses, her lips lingering on his after each. Designed to distract him, Renathal knew, and he could not deny they were effective.

He let his hands wander her waist, disappointed in the layers of heavy fabric keeping his fingers from her soft skin. He would love nothing more than to cancel court entirely and sweep the Maw Walker away with him into his more private quarters. But the guests had all arrived, the Venthyr and dredgers that typically congregated in this very room were now waiting for court to begin. Waiting for Renathal to give the word...

"I - don't know," Renathal managed to mutter between insistent kisses. "Whether we've - quite the time for this."

"We'll make time." The Maw Walker's hands trailed down his chest, not that Renathal could feel it through his armor. But he most certainly felt when they reached their destination and began unfastening his belt with expert fingers. "I've some last-minute preparations to attend to."

Before he could argue, she was sinking to the dirt-strewn floor, and Renathal's stomach sank along with her.

It had been many thousands of years since Renathal had a regular partner in desire, and he was enjoying refreshing his memory with the Maw Walker. But this particular act had never been his style.