A Spilled Tea

Takes place months before "An Ember Court to Remember."

It took Renathal an embarrassingly long time to discover the Maw Walker's deception, and in the end it was only by accident. He had resolved to keep a close eye on her during the Ember Court rehearsal, and was therefore paying more attention to her interactions than usual. After all, it was one thing to be a respectable court guest, quite another to excel as a host, and Renathal was not sure how the Maw Walker - with her inscrutable face and inexpressive nature - would fare at Venthyr diplomacy.

But his worries, on that score at least, were unfounded. The Maw Walker turned out to be as skilled in hospitality as in arcane magic. She strolled purposefully between the denizens of Sinfall who were acting as court guests, picking up threads of conversation with ease. She distributed drinks and tidied debris, never dropping her pleasant demeanor.

Except once.

The Maw Walker's lavender face flickered in brief, pained annoyance as the "Mad" Duke Theotar whisked away her cold, half-drunk tea and pressed a second, generously filled cup into her hands. The expression was there and gone so quickly, Renathal, sipping his own drink, almost didn't catch it. He replaced his cup in its saucer, and scrutinised the Nightborne closely. But her serene mask was fixed firmly back in place and she was thanking Theotar with a small, gracious smile.

She asked a question about the specifics of the blend and let the Duke warm to his beloved topic. He recited the ingredients, where they had been sourced, and how each contributed to the overall flavour, while the Maw Walker listened attentively, nodding or shaking her head where appropriate. As the Duke waxed on lovingly, her white-blue eyes sparkled and her carefully upturned lips softened, in a rare display of open affection of which Renathal refused to feel jealous.

As polite as she was with everyone, the Maw Walker was hardly ever sentimental, which made the way she doted on the Duke even more exceptional by comparison. She was a willing participant in all Theotar's anima experiments, and she afforded his tea parties the same priority as any of her assigned missions throughout Revendreth. Renathal preferred to assume this was because she too enjoyed a brew and used the Duke's private get-togethers as a way to relax.

But now, it was only at Theotar's insistence that the Maw Walker lifted the cup to her lips, and the moment his back was turned she lowered it. Renathal, watching closely, was certain she did not swallow.

Shortly thereafter, the Maw Walker excused herself from the shaded corner of Sinfall the Duke had claimed. Renathal studied her as she crossed the courtyard, Theotar sauntering over to stand beside him.

"Our Maw Walker has quite the refined palate, does she not?" Theotar mused. "But, I have not yet discovered her favourite blend. Has she mentioned a preference to you, my Prince?"

"I am afraid not," said Renathal, still following the Maw Walker's purple glow as it approached the refreshments area. She was quickly hailed by "Picky" Stefan and stopped to attend his many comments - or complaints - resting her still-full cup on the nearest table. "She seems to appreciate all things equally."

Theotar gave a small tsk of disagreement and turned back to his tray of assorted teas. Tubbins, underneath it, struggled to keep his balance as the Duke began shuffling jars.

"Oh, everyone has a favourite, your Highness. And I must discover it!"

Renathal watched the Maw Walker excuse herself from Stefan and wander away to greet another small cluster of mock-guests.

"If she mentions enjoying a particular brew, you will tell me, won't you?" asked Theotar.

Renathal eyed the Maw Walker's abandoned teacup with growing suspicion.