ch5: " can you come over ?"

Hawkins, Indiana - Castle Byers
will's pov

i rode all the way home. i didn't care about the far distance. i was upset. i was shaking, not only from the coldness of the rain, but the anger.

when i got there, i went inside, and as per usual, it was empty. no one to comfort me.

"mom?" i called out with a shaky voice. "jonathan?"

no answer.

the only other place i could go for comfort was castle byers. so there i went. when i entered the fort, i picked up a comic book and scrolled through it while sitting on the matress, to get my mind off of all that just happened.

as much as i tried, i couldn't.

"it's not my fault you can't grow up!"

the sentence repeated in my mind repeatedly. who knew one sentence could cause so much to a 14 year old boys brain?

i threw the comic book beside me and looked around. i came across my first ever d&d manual, when my mom first bought me the game. back when everyone was happy. back when i was happy.

"something's coming. something hungry for blood."

"what is it?"

"what if it's the demogorgon?"

i threw myself back into my chair at dustin's statement.

"oh, jesus, we're so screwed if it's the demogorgon." he put his hands on his head anxiously.

"it's not the demogorgon." lucas assured.

i looked around and saw my will the wise drawing, slightly crinkled up from the rain water pouring onto my back.

"will, your action!"

"fireball!" i threw my dice in front of me.

"fourteen!!"

the five of us cheered at the victory i just got us to.

"direct hit! will the wise's fireball hits the thessalhydra!" mike exclaims.

i looked around around again, and saw a picture of me and my friends. lucas, dustin, mike, y/n/n, and i, all of us in our ghostbusters halloween costume.

"who you gonna call?"

"ghostbusters!"

"yeah, egon!"

"venkman!"

i looked at the picture more and thought more. all the terrible memories coming back.

"will's in fairy land now. all happy and gay."

"it's not my fault you can't grow up!"

"he's better off with all the other little fairies."

"what did you think, really? that we were never gonna get girlfriends? that we were just gonna sit in my basement and play games all day?"

how vulnerable am i? how could i have thought that they cared about me? that they would put me first? that i mattered to them as much as they mattered to me?

why do i even care so much? i'm just a dumb 14 year old kid who is still obsessed with games and will never learn to grow up. how could i think that i mattered to them? how could i think i was there main priority? how could i have been so-

"stupid." i said out loud, holding the picture in my hand. i looked at it once more before tearing it in two. my heart broke immediately but i shouldn't care. they wouldn't even notice that it was gone.