ch15: "i can do it."

Hawkins, Indiana - Starcourt Mall
third person pov

"what's wrong?" jonathan questioned as nancy turned the key again, causing the engine to just cough.

"i don't know." the engine continued to sputter as nancy tried.

panic grew among y/n. out of all times, right now? her leg began to bounce.

"you can't be serious. come on!" nancy exclaimed frustratedly.

"didn't you just get this car like a month ago?" y/n asked, still full of anxiety.

"yes. i'm sure it's fine." nancy tried to look around the car.

"did you leave the lights on?" will questioned, not knowing much about cars.

"no." nancy tried to turn the key again.

"do we have gas?"

"yes!" nancy yelled, anger filling her as she groaned.

"whoa, whoa, whoa! just stop!" jonathan grabbed her hand. "pop the hood." he got out of the car as nancy opened the hood and went outside with him. they went to the front and looked inside.

y/n sighed and sat back, fiddling with her hands in her lap. that was until she heard an engine roar loudly. everyone in the car looked to the left. it was another car. they squinted their eyes to see better.

it was billy. the car was facing them, the lights flashing as the engine kept roaring. the kids' breathing grew heavy, fear coursing through all of their veins.

nancy suddenly appeared at the window, scaring them all. "back in the mall!" she ushered everyone out of the car and back into the mall.

y/n help onto her side, feeling it burn as she ran into the mall. once inside, she sat down on one of the seats next to lucas. mike was trying to contact scoops troops and warn them about billy finding them.

lucas was testing out his wrist rocket. nancy stole a gun from one of the dead russians.

"you're a gonna kill him, aren't you?" max breathed out, worried about her brother.

"this is just a precaution, okay?"

"and we're not just against billy." will reassured his friend. "if he knows we're here, so does the mind flayer."

everyone turned to look at mike, who paced back and forth throughout the mall, still failing to contact the other group. nancy's gaze turned towards the car that el had flipped a while before, "no chance that thing'll drive, right?"

"we don't need it to drive. we just need the ignition cable." jonathan said.

the group went to the car to flip it over. they wanted to save y/n's powers as much as possible, so they were all pushing on it with all their strength. but it didn't work.

"i can try." el spoke up.

"el.." mike panted from using his force on the car.

she stepped forward confidently, "i can do it."

they all stood behind eleven, who focused on the car with her arm extended out. the car's metal squeaked loudly, but it still wasn't moving.

"el, i'll do it." y/n went to her side.

el put her arm down, sighing in disappointment as she moved back to the group. y/n extended her arm out, focusing her mind on the car.

within a couple seconds, the car was on its wheels. y/n turned to look at the group, smiling proudly, happy that she was finally able to be helpful.