Pancakes (fluff)

Authors note:
Literally more than 800 reads i love you guys <33
This one is a little fluff because i need it after reading rwrb, maybe less plot holes this fic around, we'll see.
Maybe rec. anything you'd want to see in any updates soon

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kaveh POV:

Academia was a whirlwind of constant call-outs in the middle of the night and drilling projects well into the morning. Breakfast was a luxury not many had to time to appreciate in the academic population of Sumeru. Kaveh himself wasn't the most pressed on it, if it weren't for his roommate he likely would've never eaten before brunch, on a good day. Kshahrewar was a frustrating place to be. No tests conducted could ever give out the outcome needed for the  plan they had to set in motion. No building could be constructed without overlooking and countless hours spent engineering the minutest of details and absolutely no gadget would ever truly be completed.

Which is why throughout most of the year, Kaveh runs circles around the apartment, sleeping mere minutes before his roommate wakes up and heading out before he can catch glimpse of Al Haitham coming home. It weighs heavy on the both of them, he knows how it does. Any time they get together is precious when their lives demand so much. They try to make time, lunch dates that last just as long as they can go without completing something due the very same day. Kaveh longs to see Al Haitham, to keep him close and do nothing but talk, or perhaps he'd even settle for bickering, just the way Haitham does, with sly knowing looks over how it gets under Kaveh's skin. 

Of course, Sumeru has its perks. There are countless, is what Kaveh would tell you, the archaic ruins that leave a mesmerising picture of history and inspire his own works, the endless flora and fauna that Al Haitham names given less than a moment, or the swift thudding that comes from the sheer adventure of living in a city bustling with so much energy and chaos. At least, what he would tell you on a normal day, where he wasn't homesick for Al Haitham next to him, even if all they'd do was sit silently on the couch, legs intertwined as they did their own work.

This explains why the answer for what made Sumeru great this morning, as he woke up to a dip in his mattress, was the fact that every so often they'd have raging temperatures outside. The kind that made people fall sick and faint in the wilderness. Deemed too dangerous to someone inexperienced. The sunlight was gentle through tinted windows and no heat was felt from the comfort of the apartment. Even when his eyes were still hazy from sleep, Kaveh knew what seeing Al Haitham this early meant, and he was more than happy to stay home today. They both knew as much when Kaveh pulled him down by the waist to meet him halfway as he got up.

"Morning" He said through a dazed smile, pulling Haitham into a soft kiss, rubbing his thumbs gently onto his sides. "Once again the academia is saved from the wrath of the acting grand sage by the blistering sun." It's second nature how his lips curve into a smirk and Haithams hands come up to his back as he returned it, the room splayed with every colour of the rainbow reflected off of stained glass.

Kaveh could feel Haithams warm chuckle pass through him as they sat in bed for just a bit longer, all soft sheets and warm touches, relishing the small, fond moment that they get so sparingly. They stay quiet for a moment, bathing in the filtered sunlight flooding in from the windows open.
"Let's get breakfast back here?" Haitham asks in a near-whisper. The way he looks at Kaveh makes him nearly melt, with all the knowledge that he very clearly has something planned. He nods, being the first to get up and haul Al Haitham up before he leads him swiftly to the kitchen. He can see a pan pre-heating on the stove and a bowl of batter resting to the side , plates and honey already set out. Pancakes.

It's more of an unspoken promise they made to each other at the beginning of their academia lives. The one with the free time makes the food. Except Al Haitham could never grasp how to make pancakes, or even the batter. Kaveh loved them, his mom having taught him how to make  them  for as long as he could remember. Even as the days got longer and busier, every once in a blue moon he'd make pancakes.

So as much as he was touched, he was amused to see the batter ready, looking over to Haitham, who, now with his clearer sight looked to have a thin layer of flour over his nightshirt. He could only imagine how much time this had taken him and the serious look of concealed sheepishness morphed into one of a fond smile, giving Kaveh as much as he needed to know there was most definitely sleep lost on perfecting the recipe he was all too used to just throwing together.

"Well then? What are you waiting for?" And it was bliss, how they spent the rest of the morning standing shoulder to shoulder in the kitchen, flipping pancakes and cutting strawberries to go with it, shaping them to the best of their ability and placing them in haphazard stacks. All the while sneaking small tidbits of domestic affection, kissing the other to distract from the flour they'll have on their nose right after. Laughing and joking and drizzling copious amounts of honey that Al Haitham made a face at.

The best part, taking their plates back to the bed, cuddling up and eating. Talking and exchanging playful comments and kisses and doing positively nothing else for the rest of the day except that. It was a well needed break and surprisingly for the hundredth attempt at it, Al haitham smirked into the kiss after Kaveh told him fondly that the pancakes were perfect.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Authors note part 2, electric boogaloo

I wrote this in like an hour i don't know where that motivation came from. 
IS this a good time to mention this is what i want in life
i saw a reel of someone making valentines heart pancakes with strawberry roses- it was so cute i cannot even