14. Nice Punch, Charlotte

Charlie's POV

I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Ryan Woodsen wanted to go out with me?

This couldn't be real.

I contemplated telling Ella and Clayton all about it the next day, but that would have meant outing Ryan, and he asked me not to tell anyone.

"Earth to Charlie!" Ella snapped her manicured fingers in front of my face.

"Huh?" I said, brushing away my thoughts.

"I asked you if you wanted to come over to my place after school today?"

"Depends, will I be a third or fifth wheel again?"

"Tom won't be there. He has practice." She explained.

"And Olivia and I had an argument last night." Clayton added.

"Trouble in paradise?" I stuck my nose in.

"Get this, she thinks it's okay for her to have a dozen male friends. Do you think I'm overreacting?"

"Normally I'd say yes, but this is Olivia we are talking about." Ella responded. "She's overly chummy with everyone, it's annoying."

"So I'm right?" He asked.

"Yes! If Olivia loves you, she wouldn't be clinging to every jock in sight. Tom even told me that she still goes over to Joey's place, even after what happened with Charlie! Like, who would still be friends with someone like that?"

Ryan would. I thought to myself.

Wouldn't he? He might have told the principal about Joey's bullying, but is Ryan still friends with him?

I don't think I can be friends, or more, with someone who is friends with a homophobic bully like Joey.

"I think I might just break up with her." Clayton said casually, though I could tell he wanted clarification from Ella and I.

"Oh my god, can I watch?" Ella's smile was almost sinister.

"So you think I should dump her?"

My focus drifted to the other side of the lawn, to where Ace Caldwell was smoking a cigarette as he leant against a small brick wall next to his motorcycle.

He took a long drag from his cigarette, inhaling it into his lungs before allowing it to pour out on his mouth and into the air.

He wore a short-sleeved shirt, so I could see the tattoos that decorated his arms. From where I sat, I couldn't tell what the tattoos were of, but I could see he had more than just a few.

He's just going to smoke a cigarette on school grounds? Out in the open for anyone to see?

Everything about him just ticked me off.

"Do you know what's going to happen to Joey?" Ella asked me, pulling me from my thoughts again.

"Well, the police said that he'll be charged and I also got a restraining order against him." I stated.

"I honestly hope I never see his ugly face again." Ella furiously stirred her salad with a fork.

You and me both.

The rest of the day went by swimmingly, until I entered the science classroom on crutches for fifth period. Everyone was laughing at me.

I looked at them confused before giving myself a once over, making sure that I hadn't accidentally spilled something on my clothes. I even checked to make sure my fly was closed.

Why were they laughing at me?

One of the students in the front row, a girl with bangs and red eyeliner, pointed to the whiteboard at the front of the class.

I followed to where she was pointing, finding a doodle of me on the board.

It might've just been a doodle, but it was done in great detail. It had a blue cast on it's leg, just like me. It also had a small bandage over its nose and even wore a sweater that resembled the one I was currently wearing.

There was a speech bubble coming from the drawing's mouth.

I can't stand Science.

Emphasis on the stand. Really? A leg pun?

"Alright, calm down everybody." Mrs Dandry said, entering behind me and approaching her desk at the front of the classroom.

She looked at the whiteboard and turned to face the classroom.

"Who drew this?"

The class just laughed again.

I crutched hastily towards my seat at the back of the room, utterly annoyed at the world at this point.

"I can't stand science either." Ace laughed from beside me as I took my seat and placed my crutches against the wall beside me.

"Shut the hell up!" I said angrily.

"Calm down, Charlotte. I was only jesting." He smirked.

Anger swelled inside of me. From him calling me Charlotte all the time. From having my leg broken. Everything seemed to anger me.

In the heat of the moment, I clenched both of my fists and swung my right one into his cheek.

"Charlie Harrington!" Mrs Dandry called my name in a tone of disappointment.

I was shocked at myself. This wasn't like me at all. I never liked to get angry.

I looked over at Ace, who gave me a look of anger. I thought for sure he was about to hit me right back. That he would beat me up like he had with Robby Bramwell.

But he didn't, in fact, he just smirked.

What the hell?

"Go to the principal's office! Now!" Mrs Dandry shouted.

I reached for my crutches and gathered my things.

"Nice punch, Charlotte." Ace said with amusement.

I know that I have already expressed this enough, but Ace Caldwell is an absolute freaking Jerk!