56. Let it Snow

Ace's POV

"Got you!" Charlie cheered and did a little victory dance.

An hour had passed and he had just shot his last paintball at me, succeeding in hitting me in the chest.

For the smartest guy I had ever met, he had no idea how to dance.

I laughed as he continued to dance like a complete weirdo, slowly raising my paintball gun to point at him.

When he saw the gun pointed at him, he stopped dancing, his face stern.

"What are you doing?" He asked me.

I smirked at him. "You didn't think it was over, did you?" I pulled the trigger and shot him with my remaining paintball bullets.

"Ow!" He gasped. "That's not fair!"

I laughed villainously. "Sorry."

"You're lucky I have no paintballs left!" He said, dropping the paintball gun to the ground.

"Lucky me, then." I smiled.

~

After we had cleaned all the paint off our guns and goggles, then threw the vests into the wash, we turned off the lights and locked up the building.

Sal, The owner of the Paintball Arena, who also happened to be my dad's best friend, didn't mind the arena being messy, seeing as the maze is splattered with paint. As long as we didn't do any damage, and cleaned everything we used, it was all good.

"Do you want to get something to eat?" I asked Charlie as we started walking into the street.

"I'm okay. But if you wanted to go and get something?" He spoke.

"Oh, nah I'll just get something when I get home." I replied, keeping the same relaxed pace as him.

An awkward silence began to set in.

"I uh." I paused and took a deep and slow breath. "I heard about you and Ryan breaking up."

He let out a heavy sigh as we passed beneath a street light.

"Yeah." He spoke in a dejected tone.

"Did you not want to break up with him?" I asked, my eyebrows raised.

Charlie paused. "Huh? No I did want to." He inhaled a breath before releasing it into the air. "It's just, he said some things that kind of hurt."

I glanced up to read his face, but he was looking toward the street in front of us.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted, when I snapped at you in class. It wasn't cool, or true." I said, the cold air piercing against my face. "We're not just two people who were assigned to sit next to each other."

He looked over at me, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"Tonight was fun, right?" I nudged his shoulder as we turned down another street.

"Yeah. It was awesome." He replied. "I had a really great time."

"You ruined my favourite leather jacket though." I said, pouting.

"Why would you wear a leather jacket to a paintball arena?" He laughed at me.

"You got me there." I let out a slight chuckle.

"It's a good excuse for you to go buy a new one." He smiled, his hands tucked tightly into the pockets of his jacket.

At least he had a good night.