35. December

Charlie's POV

A lot had changed in the past few months.

I hadn't seen Ace since September.

My leg was fully healed, so I was finally walking on both of my feet!

Isn't that exciting?

Tom and Ella were better than ever. Like, seriously. They're closer than ever, and it's gross. They make out far too much.

Clayton had a secret girlfriend that he wouldn't tell us about. Ella thinks that he might be sneaking around with his ex, Olivia. I, on the other hand, think that this mystery girl doesn't exist.

Joey was allowed back at school, but was still suspended from the team. He should have thought twice before beating the living heck out of me.

Also, Tom and Ryan were no longer friends with him.

Oh, and Ryan came out of the closet. To his surprise, his parents were very supportive, and to my surprise, so were his friends on the football team. Now we were an actual couple!

"So, what are we doing for your birthday?" Ryan asked, slightly nudging me.

"We should go to the movies." I suggested.

Everyone laughed, as if I had told them a joke.

My face was deadpanned.

"Oh, you're being serious?" Ryan wondered.

I playfully pushed him. "What's wrong with going to the movies?" I asked.

"Charles! It's your birthday! Anyone can just go to the movies, you have to think bigger! Like, oh my god! Let's throw a party!" Ella beamed.

"I don't know, I don't really feel like partying."

"Nonsense!" Clayton protested. "You have to throw a party."

"Fine, I'll throw a party. On one condition." I looked Clayton dead in the eyes. "You have to tell me who your secret girlfriend is."

"You know, maybe we should just go to the movies." Clayton averted his eyes and faced down at the table.

"Clayton, just tell us!" Ella implored, punching him in the arm.

"Ouch!" Clayton frowned.

I took a sip from my mocha.

"Does she go here?" Tom asked, his right arm slung around Ella's shoulder.

Clayton shook his head.

"Does she go to St Griffiths?" Ryan asked.

I continued to drink my mocha whilst waiting for Clayton to answer.

"No."

"So she's homeschooled?" I wondered.

"Yes." He answered vaguely.

"Cool, she's homeschooled. Charlie, are we throwing a party for your birthday?" Ella changed the subject back to my birthday.

"My parents probably won't-"

"They said it's fine. In fact, they thought it was a wonderful idea." Ella stated.

"You asked my parents?"

"Duh! John and Harper are like my second parents." Ella slurped loudly on her coffee.

I thought about the idea of throwing a party for my seventeenth birthday. I've never really liked being around too many people. Big crowds tick me off. Especially when they're teenagers who are getting drunk.

Everyone else seems to think that it's a good idea.

And it would be a lot better than going to the movies, like I did last year, and the year before that.

"Fine, we can have a party, as long as it's not too big."

"HECK YEAH! PARTY AT CHARLIE'S!" Ella announced to the entire front lawn of Clarence High.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes at her.

"Ella, what part of 'as long as it's not too big' did you not get?" I said angrily.

"Charlie, it will be fine. Ryan, tell him it'll be fine." Clayton spoke. Oh, Clayton doesn't hate Ryan anymore, or at the very least, he pretends not to.

"It'll be fine, Char." Ryan attempted to calm me down.

"Char?" Ella raised her eyebrows.

"It's my nickname for him, and he calls me Ry." Ryan stated.

I've only called him Ry once, and it did not stick.

"That's so cute! Oh, oh, we should have a triple date!" Ella suggested.

"Who is the third couple?" Clayton wondered.

"You and your mystery chick." Ella answered, though it sounded like it was compulsory to attend the way she said it.

"Nah, we've got plans."

"Clayton Patel, I swear I will discover your secret, and when I do, I will post it all over social media."

Classic Ella, ever the drama queen.

"See you guys later, I need to piss before homeroom." Clayton rose from his seat and ambled towards the school building.

Ryan's hand found mine, and clasped it.

"Shall I walk you to homeroom?" He smirked at me.

"Okay." I smiled, reaching for my mocha before rising from the table and walking towards Homeroom, Ryan's hand still in mine.

Then I heard the sound of a familiar motorcycle entering the parking lot.

Ace is back....