58. We Wish you a Merry Christmas

Charlie's POV

I awoke to the sound of jingle bells ringing in my ear, along with 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' playing through Nora's phone.

Did I ever mention that older siblings are annoying? Because I still stand by it.

And she ruined the most perfect dream, but I won't get into details with that right now.

"Let me sleep!" I groaned.

"Get up bitch! It's time to open presents!" That's when I realised it wasn't Nora.

My eyes shot open to see my cousin, Danielle standing over me.

"Danielle? What are you doing here?" I wondered, still tired.

"We got in late last night." She stated.

"Who is we?" I dreaded to to think.

"Mom, Dad, and my brother and sister, duh!" She hugged me.

Danielle is my first cousin on my dad's side. When we were younger, we were inseparable, until her mom and dad packed up and moved them to the other side of the country.

I dragged myself out of bed and followed her downstairs.

"You look so different." She observed.

"Well, it has been a few years since we last saw each other." I stated as we reached the bottom of the staircase.

"Look at how grown up you are!" My Aunt Georgina embraced me. She smelled like frankincense.

"Merry Christmas, Aunt Georgina." I said when she released me.

"Merry Christmas to you too." She smiled, pinching my cheeks.

At what age do grownups think it's too weird to pinch a child's cheeks?

"Damn, Charlie. Santa Claus truly came to town for you." Danielle stated.

Mom, Nora and I had set up the Christmas tree yesterday. At first, Mom said she didn't want one, but I guess she changed her mind when she knew that Danielle and her family were spending Christmas with us.

I entered the living room and was met with a mess of torn wrapping paper and a bunch of opened presents.

I guess they started without me.

There were at least thirteen presents that were still beneath the tree, that I could see anyways.

"Are these all mine?" I asked.

"Yep." Nora said from the couch.

I picked up the first present I could reach, read who it was from, and eagerly tore the wrapper off. It was a gift from Nana Margaret and Grandpa Otis.

They were a pair of retro Nike Jordans?

I guess they'd go good with a few of my outfits...

I opened another present, this time it was from Nora.

I had gotten her a fancy necklace from the antique store, along with a blue care bear that I had found. It looked exactly like one she had when she was younger, so she was pretty happy about it.

She had gotten me a record player?

"Thanks." I smiled before opening another present, I could feel everyone's eyes drilling into me.

My mom had gotten me a bunch of brand new books, a drone and AirPods?

"Thanks mom and dad." I smiled.

"You're welcome." Mom spoke for the both of them.

If I'm being honest, I rather preferred using regular earphones. But I guess I shouldn't be ungrateful.