Chapter Two

First contact with the fortified port of Paradis was tense but amicable. It was obvious that even though the Jaegerist units patrolling the harbor still had anger raging fresh in their minds, they also felt handicapped by the lack of knowledge they possessed. At the very least, this would allow them to speak their piece in the Capitol if they stuck to their itinerary and remained out of the public eye.

Whether it amounted to anything... well, that was still up in the air.

Historia and Armin had agreed that any form of personal security for the group would be unwise. The less they seemed like a threat the better, and it went without saying that escape -if that was necessary- would go more smoothly if it was only the six of them that they had to worry about.

The first step was to make for the Queen's newest compound northwest of the ruins that used to be wall Rose to prepare for the meeting. The Marlyean government had argued ceaselessly against Historia's return to the island, but their pleas were not nearly as strong as her resolve. If the Queen felt it was best to influence her people from the inside, who were they to stop her?

After conferring with her they would make their way north to the city of Mitras, that stood at the center most location within the wall Sina. If the peace talks went well, or at least didn't end in bloodshed, they would head back south to their vessel, updating the Queen as they left.

The plan itself seemed laughably easy, but everything, including their lives, was riding on that meeting in in the Capitol.

The trip was slow moving without access to a railways system, but it was all painfully familiar to them. The track of land they travelled on had been smoothed away to allow for easier resource delivery between the southern-most Eldian cities and the port, but to the east and west the land remained marred by deep colossal footprints, a constant reminder of the not so distant past.

A squad of soldiers had accompanied them from the harbor to escort them to their next destination and onwards, and although this was to be expected, it did nothing to lessen the discomfort and tension for everyone involved.

Yet the time passed quickly, too quickly. Before long the terrain on the horizon started to shift, giving way to the crumped outer edge of wall Maria and the ruins of Shinganshina.

Despite the thick growth covering almost every inch of the city, the path through the districts remained mostly open to them, and it was certainly the fastest route they could take.

Time seemed to move more slowly for them once the passed through what was left of the outer gates; the place where it all began. Silence laid heavily over the company; even their escorts seemed to talk less as they passed through the overgrown roadways and townships that used to stand tall.

Armin studied the buildings intently as they made their way through the overgrown city. He was both amazed and deeply saddened by how different it all looked to him. He had a difficult time recognizing anything at first, until a unique mass of roadwork all converged on one spot up ahead.

Instinctively, he pointed towards one of the eastern passages.

"There is a wide enough path here to our right that will help us cut a decent chunk of time off our route."

He said this softly, but the quiet of the nature-reclaimed city seemed to amplify his voice. Their security escort frowned at him but followed his lead as their convoy cut through a set of tighter alleyways, anxious to put the city behind them.

Why am I taking us this way? What could I possibly gain from seeing this again?

There was no reasonable explanation for changing their path, and yet he continued to steer them forward. Suddenly, the reason for his change of course was in front of them. As they trailed by, Armin stared transfixed at the set of stairs leading down to a now wild and flowing waterway; the place where Eren, Mikasa and himself often sat, pouring over -at the time- illegal texts containing secrets of the outside world.