Chapter Twenty Three

The Northern section of Veritas was not nearly as crowded as the more densely populated southern edge as it mostly housed military personnel, though the streets heading towards city center were still busy with early afternoon activity. The heat of mid-summer was heavy away from the coast, but every now and again a cooler salty breeze could be felt blowing off the not-so-distant harbor and up the cobbled streets.

Their destination was the North Bazaar, a relatively small open market located halfway between their compound and the bustling parliament block. Weeks of preparation had left them little time for much else, and their collective excitement for a brief escape was intoxicating.

Strolling sullenly behind the chattering group, Levi watched as the buildings around them changed from stoic military buildings to bustling inns and shops. Colorful banners shifted lazily on taut ropes wrapped around canopies, and the air was filled with chatter and distant music.

The gait of his walk had changed slightly due to the brace he still wore, yet Levi found that an easy adjustment. He was no longer watching people pass him by from the window, now he was once again part of the current.

This day trip was proving to be not nearly as painful as he initially thought as well; his young companions were energized but collected. The years had changed more than just their appearance, it seemed.

Though this evident leap forward in maturity hadn't quelled Connie's constant string of apologies whenever he had the opportunity to get Levi alone. Time had done nothing to erase the guilt Connie still held on to over the events leading to his injured leg, much to Levi's annoyance. It continued still even now that he was healing. Nothing he grumbled about could change what has already passed and placing the blame of battle onto oneself was pointless. What's done is done.

Hoping to avoid another string of whiney apologies, Levi strolled along the left-most edge of the bizarre, following a roughly hewn fence that bordered the road and a small stream that flowed gently through the open marketplace.

Coming to a stop near a trolley of blooming flowers he leaned against the railing and looked absentmindedly out over the water and into the crowds beyond. Levi stood like this for a time, letting his mind wander freely. He had just began making a small list of items he could pick up whilst here when he caught sight of a young woman out of the corner of his good eye.

Levi blanched and his chest tightened as he whipped his head around in disbelief, but as suddenly as she was there the woman had disappeared.

He stood ramrod straight in the direction he had spotted her, a dull blanket of despondency extinguishing his sudden surge of emotion. Logic harshly reminded him that it was only a distant memory he saw, for there was no way it could have been her.

She died a long time ago.

Because I left them to die in the rain; left them to serve my own cause.

His reverie was broken when the wooden beam he was leaning against shifted slightly to his left and he came back to himself, resuming his stare out over the small river and into the busy streets beyond. He shook his head in exasperation. "If you try groveling one more time, Springer, it will be you they have to patch up next."

"Duly noted."

Levi lifted his head quickly. Arya was leaning her back against the railing, looking over at the other members of their outing fondly as she sipped on a large, crushed ice beverage. It smelled strongly of fresh fruit and cream, filling the air around them with its sweet aroma.

"When I asked you to join us, I wasn't aware you were such a wet blanket." She mocked, giving him a lope-sided half smile. The effect of being free of the compound must have touched her as well; there were small red patched spread across her cheekbones despite the hat she wore, and her eyes seemed less guarded than before.