Into The Ambush

''Lieutenant Turner!'' - I shout happily when I spot him standing outside the base in which was hold the meeting. I immediately rush to him but my smile fades away when I'm welcomed with only a salute. ''Turner...'' - I murmur sadly.

''Good job, lieutenant. Both you and miss (Y/N).'' - says proudly Davis after saluting and with a spring in his step he leaves with other officers. 

''Miss (Y/N)...'' - says Turner, now with his eyes set on me. ''I have something that actually belongs to you. So here.'' He hands me my diary in such a stiff manner that I reluctantly accept it.

''I-'' - we say in unison and immediately we both look down at the ground.

''Excuse me.'' A ginger-haired woman with a notebook interrupts us. ''I'm miss Johnson from the New York Times. I hope you won't mind me taking a few photos of you?''

''No...'' - I and Turner reply at the same time and exchange confused looks.

''Great! Because I need you two on the cover of my article. Please turn to the camera.'' She grabs her camera and takes a few short steps back. ''Ugh, you look stiff. Get closer to each other. You officer place your hand on her waist and you miss rest your left hand on his shoulder.'' We do as she says, although hesitantly, but she still grimaces. ''Sir, lifts your gun.'' Then she picks some random flowers and squeezes them into my hand. ''Now miss, kiss the soldier on his cheek.'' 

''Do what?''

She sighs tiredly at my question and a bit annoyed she says: ''Listen, I want a happy woman welcoming back her man, that's what people want to see. So show me how proud you are of him. Ready?'' The moment she lifts her camera, I stand on my tiptoes and leave a peck on Turner's cheek, making him blush a little. ''Beautiful!''

''You see...'' - I say shyly after the journalist has left in a hurry. ''I need to go to my headquarters but I hope we will meet soon. It was really nice to cooperate with you.''

''Same here. I will miss you.'' - says dreamily Turner.

''You will?''

''I mean, uh...'' He clears his throat nervously.

I chuckle at his innocent reaction when he realizes what he has just said. ''Me too, lieutenant.'' I smile warmly at him before I get into a jeep and depart.

Sadly, we have to say goodbyes and head in different directions. His place is in the First Platoon and mine in the French Resistance, though we might meet again one day and I hope it will happen but under better circumstances, not on the battlefield where we fight for life but let it be the end of war where we celebrate it together in the rain of confetti. I hum melancholy as I imagine what it would be if it wasn't the war. 

Suddenly, a bullet hits a tire and the jeep abruptly stops with a shriek of tires. Then a large group of Nazi soldiers jump out from both sides of the road and quickly surround us. From the crowd emerges an officer, clapping his hands and snickering. ''What do we have here?''

I frown when I recognize the familiar voice. ''Heinrich...'' He is responsible for killing my best friend and Rousseau's family.

Heinrich gives a sign to his men to lower their guns and with no rush comes to me. ''What a surprise, we caught miss (Y/N).'' He keeps his hands behind his back as he walks around me.''I wonder who will come first with aid, Rousseau or your new allies?'' Then he steps back and orders one of his soldiers to take my gun and tie my hands. 

''What do you have there, Heinrich?'' I turn in the way I heard a raspy voice and I spot a young officer walking toward us. His shirt is half unbuttoned, slightly revealing his bare chest covered in some scars. He takes off his cap with goggles to ruffle his brown hair and looks up and down at me but there's something ominous about his stare that I get goosebumps. ''It's her, right?''

''Your informator was finally of some use, Baumann. We've got a member of the French Resistance but it's not Rousseau. Anyway, I will leave her to you. Treat it as my special gift for you.'' With that said Heinrich leaves us alone. Baumann then takes a rifle to raise the hem of my skirt and the moment it reaches my knees, I kick his leg. He hisses something incomprehensibly under his nose and in rage he punches me in my stomach, making me curl up in pain. He leans down and pulls me closer by my shirt collar. ''You and that American lieutenant must be close friends, huh? One of my men saw you hanging around with that man.''

My eyes widen in shock when I realize he knows about Turner. ''Leave him alone! It is me who you want, not him!'' 

''You're right. I want you. But who would have thought that you care so much about that man. Why don't we send him our kind regards?''

''You-''

''Shh.'' He presses his hand to my mouth and then nods at a soldier, who immediately rushes to the jeep's driver to knock him out and leave under a tree, while others are setting the jeep on fire. ''Hmm, I need one more thing.'' - he murmurs when he glances at me. ''Bring me her bag.'' One soldier cuts a shoulder strap and hands my bag to Baumann, who throws it next to the burning jeep.

*****

(Turner's POV)

''Sir?'' - a soldier with a troubled look enters the tent and salutes. I can tell something serious has happened. ''We found our jeep abandoned in the woods. It has been completely burnt down.'' 

I frown and lean back in my seat. ''Did you find anything else?''

''There was one of our men too but he's unconscious. Sir, I found also this near the jeep.'' He places a bag on my desk and I rapidly get up when I recognize whose it is. ''Private, tell Pierson to come here immediately! Now!!''