Road To Marigny - part I

I take a stand behind Pierson to wach the meeting from aside. Turner, after placing some papers on the jeep's hood, glances about his men and the moment he spots Zussman, he warmly welcomes him back. In response Zussman straightens up and smiles proudly at the commander. It surprises me that he's still in high spirits after all that happened to him on his first day in Europe, yet he's still willing to fight. Turner then gives a brief explanation of his strategy, leaning against the jeep. I can sense in his voice nervousness but no matter what he always maintains looking calm. When he finishes his little speech, he glimpses with eyebrows a little raised at Zussman, seemingly impressed and also concerned about the soldier, before he sets his worried eyes on me. To cheer him up I offer him a bright smile which as expected works on him. Right then some planes fly above us and we both look up at the sky which used to be filled with birds' chirping and not engines's roars. 

Turner then places his arm on my back and says: ''(Y/N), I'll take you for a special ride.'' I tilt my head in curiosity. ''My old friend Perez is joining us in this mission and he'll give us a ride on his tanks. You happy?''

''That's, uh, good.''

Once that Turner has given the sign to head out, I come over to one tank, wondering which spot would be the most comfortable and of course safe. ''I'll help you.'' Before I could say anything, Turner picks me up and helps me to get on it. ''Hold on tight.'' Standing behind me, he gets a hold of the metal pipe under my elbows to secure me from both sides. 

When the tank starts moving, I notice that Pierson is not with us. Usually, he tends to follow Turner everywhere but not this time. ''Pierson isn't coming?''

''He must be on another tank.''

So it's just me and Turner on a tank right now. His eyes are set on something far away so I follow his gaze to see a sunset. ''The sun is already coming down. We have to find a nice place to stay for a night, moving in darkness in this area would be too dangerous.'' 

''Let's focus on reaching the town first. Look.'' He points his finger at the bell tower visible on the horizon. ''It's a church. That means we're in a halfway.''

A warm breeze moves some strands of my hair back. Instinctively, I look up at the light blue mixed with orange sky and take a breath of summer's fresh air. I try to ignore the echo of explosions in a long distance and smoke rising above the pine trees but all my attempts to relax are dispersed by the sight of dead bodies in the burning trench we're passing by. When I close my eyes to calm down, I hear a strange whiz getting louder second by second. Out of nowhere, a plane flies over our squad and before anyone could react in time, a tank ahead of us is blown up. Other tanks rapidly stop and subsequently all soldiers scatter around. ''(Y/N), run!'' Turner takes my hand to hurry me up when we run toward a farm. I look over my shoulder and see tiny pieces of earth and grass being thrown up as bullets are hitting the ground in our way. I let out a scream in panic, seeing it's about to hit us. Fortunately, just in time we jump into a ditch behind a stone wall, avoiding getting shot. I get down right next to Turner, who keeps giving orders to his squad, though it's hard to tell who is where. Then we hear Pierson from afar warning us about MGs in the barn right before something explodes near us. ''(Y/N), get down!'' 

I put the bag on my head to better protect myself and take a look around. There's a mill ahead of us, from where our men are notoriously shelled. ''Turner, I'll go to the mill! There must be another entrance to their hideout!''

''(Y/N), no!!'' Just as I get to my feet, Turner tries to stop me but too late, because I'm already sneaking along the path hidden between bushes, so he stands up as well to follow me. There's indeed another door in the back of the building through which I pass to get into a storage room. ''(Y/N), you can't move ahead of me just like that! What if something happened to you, huh?!'' - says Turner in a muffled tone when he catches my arm to stop me.

''Turner, look!'' There's a wire among the shattered hay on the floor, leading to a large box covered with a dark green blanket, which I quickly remove to find out it's a phone field. ''How strange, it still works but no one is operating it...'' Suddenly, a Nazi soldier shows up behind us and picks up a rifle upside down to hit Turner. ''Watch out!'' Turner blocks the attack by pushing the weapon away from him. ''Can you hold him off for a moment? I need to cut off their communication.''

''Hurry up, (Y/N)!'' - shouts Turner, who after knocking one guy out has to deal with next arriving soldiers. Someone then throws a grenade outside right under the window and startled Turner jumps to pull me down and cover me with his body. Broken glass is scattered around, causing a bigger mess, but it doesn't make such an impression on me as Turner's lips accidentally pressed to the corner of my mouth. He slowly gets up, not breaking eye contact with me. All I can do is to lie motionlessly under him. If not the perpetual gunfire, we'd stay in this position who knows for how long. ''...Let's get out of here...''

Since that incident Turner hasn't spoken a word to me, only has been ordering around his men. Just as we've got out of the building, we catch up with Daniels and Zussman, who already cleaned the way so now we can go into the woods after the retreating enemy. While Turner is busy with two captured soldiers, I, curious about the echo of an air strike nearby, go up the hill to check what is going on there. ''Guys!'' - I call in panic, looking through my binoculars. Turner quickly comes to me and gets down on one knee. ''Perez's team is there! They need help!'' His presence here makes me behave strangely timidly around him. I bit my lower lip, trying to get it together before following my team.

Stiles is first to come out on the field and I want to go after him but Turner's growl makes me stop abruptly. ''(Y/N)...'' Turner takes some steps in my way and stands so close to me that our chests are almost touching. ''Don't jump out first into the battle. I'm not going to ask for a new aide.'' I gulp when my eyes meet his intense gaze as if it's piercing my soul. With that said, he turns to Daniels with a special order for him to take out Stukas. I stand next to Daniels, although I know this isn't the safest spot for watching those planes getting hit, while Turner is on the other side of the flak gun to help Daniels with spotting Stukas. I see that some parts of shot down planes are falling nearby and one of them, a rotor blade, hits a tree near us, cutting it off in half. But it is not just me observing this thrilling spectacle. Besides Zussman rooting for Daniels, Stiles and Aiello are also here.

When one plane in flames flies dangerously low above us, unexpectedly Turner protectively pulls me closer to his body and together we watch the burning machine in awe. ''Wait, we won already?''

''This part yes but the battle is still not over.'' He looks down at me, surprised that he's still embracing me and quickly moves back, clearing his throat nervously.

Turner then goes to the tanks to talk with Perez but I somehow can't move from my spot. I notice Daniels sending me a questionable look so I give him a strained smile in response. I feel so restless that I don't even listen to Turner's explanation of the next task. When everyone else left, only I and Turner have stayed. ''(Y/N), I'd like to talk with you in private.''