Omen

''I've been trying to ignore this feeling because I thought that's what a commander should do, not to let love get in the way. But I can't anymore. (Y/N), I love you.'' Turner steps forward, closing the distance between us. ''So I need to know if you feel the same.''

''Turner...'' I reach to gently touch his face, delicately caressing his cheek with my thumb, and next, standing on tiptoes, I softly place my lips on his own. He, however, can't resist it and leans in but I break the kiss to look into his lustful eyes. ''This, lieutenant, is my answer.''

''...(Y/N)...''

''I'll go pack my stuff...'' I send him a quick affectionate smile and with my head lowered I take a leave. After closing the door I spot Pierson striding in the opposite way, presumably to have a talk with Turner. He glances at me in confusion when I pass by him without a word and still blushing a lot. Not only his attention I have drawn but my friends as well, who are now having supper. ''(Y/N)?'' - asks first Zussman. ''Is everything alright?'' But I'm too embarrassed to even face them right now.

''Could it be that she had a fight with someone?'' - asks curious Stiles.

''Like with who?'' - snaps Aiello.

''Maybe with a lover, who knows.''

''Boys, mind your own business.'' - reprimands them Daniels, who discreetly takes a glimpse at me walking away.

After finding a room with a comfy bed away from the ruckus outside, I take off my shoes and outer clothes before I slip under a velvet blanket. Tired of all recent happenings, I very soon fall asleep with the belief that I can finally have a normal, peaceful sleep. But no, it can't be possible when you're on the front line. The echo of explosions, though far away from the town, disrupts my dream. Once again the same nightmares return, the pictures of war. I wander through the deserted streets surrounded by burnt buildings and some debris. And then I spot him standing back to me. ''Turner?'' - I ask reluctantly. But he strangely ignores me, walking inside a house. So I follow him there upstairs only to witness a horror. Out of nowhere shows up a nazi officer aiming his pistol at Turner. ''Turner!!'' I try to reach him but suddenly a missile hits the building, causing it to collapse, and all I see is Turner smiling fondly at me before we all fall into the abyss. ''Ah!'' I wake up in a cold sweat. It's way past midnight according to the cuckoo clock on the wall illuminated in the moonlight.

''(Y/N)? Is everything alright? I heard you calling me.'' - asks worriedly Turner behind the closed door. ''May I come in?''

''Yes, come in...'' When I sit back, I hitch up the blanket not to let him see my bra. With an anxious look in his eyes Turner walks in to take a seat on the bed by my side. ''I'm sorry to get you worried. I just had a nightmare.''

''It's okay. It happens to everyone, even me.'' He then takes out something from a hidden pocket in his jacket and hands it to me. ''This is my clasp knife. I've had it since my first day in the army. It was kind of my lucky charm but now I want it to bring you luck. Take it just in case.''

''Thank you.'' I smile warmly at Turner, whose cheeks turn light pink.

''If I may ask, where will you go now? I'm asking because I'd like to send you letters like we used to do some time ago. I want to stay in touch with you...''

I shrug, impassively staring at his gift in my hold, and say sorrowfully: ''I'll probably be detached for the front line. I'll have to stay by the Resistance leader's side.''

''Why don't you stay at the headquarters or go overseas and wait there for the war to end?''

''Listen.'' I place my hand on top of his own as I gaze at him. ''I made a vow to my country, my sisters and brothers in arms that I won't stop fighting until we regain freedom. No matter what I'll put an end to the war.''

Holding my hand, Turner entwines our fingers together. ''(Y/N), we are together in this war and together we will win.''

''Of course we will.'' Then we hear that someone has turned on the radio outside and a random but sentimental song reverberates throughout the street.

''What a lively song.'' - I murmur when I look over my shoulder at the window to notice that all clouds dispersed and now it's a beautiful starry sky.

''I don't really like such songs. I prefer playing my piano at home. Who knows, maybe one day when the war ends I'll invite you over and play a serenade for you.'' 

''Which damn birdbrain turned on the radio in the middle of the night?! Are you hosting a ball for krauts?!'' - screams suddenly outraged Pierson. ''Damn! Another Frank Sinatra!''

We can't help but start giggling. ''Seems like I have to go and bring back the order in the platoon. If you need anything, I'll be in the neighboring room.''

When Turner is about to leave, a sudden urge to stop him makes me call him. ''Lieutenant Turner?''

''Yeah?''

Yet I'm not able to say what my heart really wants. Instead I just utter such a simply word: ''...Goodnight.''

Turner stands speechless for a moment before he gently responds: ''Goodnight, (Y/N).''

I couldn't fall asleep for a long time because of my countless worries, so at dawn I've woken up with little eye bags and more tired. How surprised is Stiles, patrolling the streets, to see me leaving earlier than others. ''Where are you going at this hour? It's not safe to wander around alone, ya know?''

''I...'' I hesitate to tell him the whole truth because I know he'd immediately raise the alarm that I'm taking a leave. ''I'm going to visit my teammates.''

''Okay then. See ya later!''

With slumped shoulders I set off to find my team. I haven't gone too far when I hear someone's footsteps behind me. ''(Y/N), wait!'' I turn around to notice Turner running in my way. ''If you're going to fight, then fight by my side. My platoon still needs you and I need you in my life.'' With that said, he reaches out his hand. ''(Y/N), stay with me.''

I'm taken aback by his sudden confession but I gladly take his hand and together we go back to the camp.