Chapter 2

Matt's POV

After the meeting I found myself twiddling my thumbs again, anxious. Too many things were happening and I couldn't seem to find myself. First Steve, and now that stupid boy has come back and messed with me again. I sat on the gym seats, desperately keeping in all the feelings I was having until I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey Matt.." Augustus spoke, sitting next to me, his big eyes boring into my soul although not very menacingly. He looked nervous, a bit embarrassed. Oh of course he was who could forget that little moment in the classroom! I could just ball up and die. I watched him for a moment, his ears twitching a little, it's really cute, though I wish it wasn't.

"Augustus." I affirmed, looking at him, although I continued to avert my gaze.

"Look I just wanna apologise for what happened back there," he sighed, rubbing his neck. "I-I got too comfy and didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." But he hadn't, that little hand hold felt like my heart was soaring, I was seeing stars. 

"It's fine," I said, half lying. It wasn't fine, not at all. We're in a time of crisis and he's trying to save the entire Boiling Isles and I'm here fussing over this stupid crush! It took me a long time to realise that fact, though I wasn't completely sure why I always liked being around him. I had fallen for Augustus Porter, the kid I bullied for no reason, just because I'm a jerk. I noticed he had scooted closer to me, lowering his voice and our knees touching which made me go insane.

"I'm glad to have you back, Matty." Gus smiled, pulling me into a gentle hug. That nickname made me incredibly embarrassed, especially with him, but even so, I continued the embrace. Shortly after we broke the hug and looked about awkwardly, noticing a few speculative whispers among the other kids glancing at us. Augustus gave me a soft smile. "Do you wanna hang out later? Like at the graveyard! I-I know it's not the same as it was before but we could just sit and talk, I really miss doing that." He admitted, tugging on his earlobe. My heart felt as if it was about to jump out of my chest, I would be thrilled to hang out with him, I've been yearning for that these last few months.

"Uh, yeah of course Gus." I said, calling him by that nickname, since he had called me Matty. His ears perked up and he looked happy to see me finally call him that. Our hands inched closer as we leaned in and the tips of our fingers ended up lightly touching, although this time I wasn't nearly as panicked as I had been. Gus grinned ecstatically.

"Oh, er- I've gotta go, I'll see you later though! Wanna meet back at the same classroom ?" He asked me, standing up. 

"Sure, in an hour?" I replied. Gus nodded.

"I'll see you then, I've just gotta speak to Hunter about something-" Gus explained, scurrying off into the halls where other students were lingering to find Hunter. Smiling stupidly, I buried my hopelessly in love expression into my scuffed cape, I was really happy to have Augustus back, although hints of guilt seeped into my thoughts. I felt a few pairs of eyes watching me but honestly, I couldn't care right now, it was silly to.

- Time Skip - 

I left the gym 15 minutes earlier than I needed to, but if I'm honest I was just excited to talk to Augustus again. I failed to realise my hand flapping, and slowed it down as I continued down to the classroom where we had previously been. I continued to skip down the hall, trying to ignore how giddy I felt. I walked into the classroom and settled myself on top of a table, messing with the cuffs on my fingerless gloves.