Chapter 3

Gus' POV

After my apologies I had ran off to find Hunter. I didn't feel normal feelings and I wanted to talk to him about it the most. Mattholomules stupid, adorable laugh echoed in my head and made me go red again, I pulled on my ears gently when I saw Hunter.

"Hunter!" I called out, he was in the hallway walking back to the gym and stopped his stride when he noticed me.

"Hey! What's up Gus? Are you okay?" He asked, a sense of worry tinting his tone.

"UHM! I'm okay I just need to speak to you about something important!" Before he could respond I grabbed his arm and took him to a quieter area of the school standing in front of him. "I think somethings wrong with me," I confessed, tugging on my ears anxiously. Hunter tilted his head, slightly confused. "E-everytime I'm around Mattholomule or even think about him I get these flushes and my stomach turns and I think I'm gonna be sick!" I cried out, pulling my ears a bit harder than I had meant. Hunters face grew into a wide smile, and he laughed. What?

"Oh titan, Gus," he laughed wiping away a tear. "Gus have you ever had a crush before?" He asked and the question took me back, how was this relevant to my issue with Matt? "Augustus, you have a crush on Mattholomule, you're so oblivious," he shook his head.

"What?! There's no way! We're just close friends!" I denied, crossing my arms. "A-and even if I did he would never like me back, it's just not possible!" Hunter grinned again.

"Gus, that hot flush, those stomach turns? That's what happened with me and Willow!" He explained, still stifling a giggle. "Come on Gus, have you ever thought he was cute? Or that holding his hand might be nice?" Hunter was right, I had thought those things, guilt started to wash over me.

"What am I gonna do Hunter?" I whined, covering my burning face in my palms. Hunter rested his hand on my head assuringly.

"Look, Gus either you wait for him to make a move or you can make a move, and if you're asking me I would wait but unless you wanna get real sad you should tell him" Hunter said, removing his hand. But Matt didn't even like me, why would he make a move?

"Matt doesn't even like me!" I stressed, waving my hands.

"You sure? That boy looks at you like you're the embodiment of love himself!" Hunter laughed. I burned up at the thought of him liking me back, my ears started twitching too. "You'll be fine Gus, but, if you do need to talk about this more, you can alway ask me," Hunter assured, walking down the hall back to the gym. Nevertheless, even with the newfound emotions I was incredibly happy to hang out with Matt.

- Time Skip -

I walked down the long hallway to where we had been before. When I reached the doorway I was surprised to see Mattholomule sat up on a table, waiting for me as he bounced his leg. When he learnt I was there he jumped up excited and ran toward me, hugging me. I was taken aback by the sudden touchiness but I couldn't say I was disappointed. "Matty!" I exclaimed happily, I had taken a liking to that nickname, hopefully he doesn't mind much. When we broke the hug we stared at each other for a minute, oblivious to the fact that we had been linking our fingers. We both pulled back and laughed nervously. I settled down on a chair near Matt's previous spot and gestured for him to return to sit. When he sat down I realised how pretty he was in the dim light from the window. His brown hair shining against it and his skin glowing like before and oh titan his eyes..

"Augustus?" Matt said, realising I had been staring in awe. Embarrassed, I pulled on my ears again.

"Uh sorry I zoned out." I lied. Matt giggled politely and smiled, which in return I smiled as well.

"What did you need to speak to Hunter about?" He questioned, one of his ears flicking. I felt my heart sink into my feet and I began to stumble over my words.

"Oh uhm, it, uh I-it's just about-" I struggled for an excuse, "y'know what? Don't worry it's not important." I managed to squeeze out. Mattholomule gave me a skeptical look but didn't bother pushing, thank the Titan. "Sorry I was late, I didn't realise the time." I explained but was surprised to see Matt look a bit embarrassed as well.

"You weren't late, I left earlier then I had meant to," he said. 

"Oh!" I squeaked, "that's okay! I'm happy you're here." We both smiled. I found myself moving my chair closer until Matt had noticed and shifted over, patting the spot next to him for me to sit. I tentatively hopped up and sat next to my, friend. He and I were so close, we were almost touching. I relaxed my shoulders and began the conversation, crossing my legs. "I miss this place," I announced, looking around. This used to be an illusions classroom and I used to learn here.

"Yeah, I've tried keeping it together but man, it's hard." Matt sighed, tapping sound patterns on the desk with his fingers. "Hexside was a whole lot better then when I went to Glandus, I felt safe here. It's a shame what's happened." I nodded agreeing with him and he smiled.

"I see everyone's warmed up to you more," I pointed out and Mattholomule continued tapping.

"I guess they have, but they all have their little cliques within and I'm just kinda, on the side." He said, his voice sad. "But hey, now that you're back maybe I won't feel as bad!" And he gave me a cheesy grin, his chipped tooth showing slightly. I returned the smile, my stomach twisting again and I ached to hold his hand, or maybe even.., my gaze moving towards his lips. NO! I shouldn't be thinking that! I felt a bit stupid for thinking that, Matt was my friend and that's all he ever would be.

"I'm sure you'll be okay, I'm always here for you!" I promised, trying to push back the thoughts in my head.