2023 Hopes (Update on requests, a film project, and new software)

Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a decent 2023 and that January has been treating you well!

I figured it would be good to give an update on a couple things:
A) Status of requests
B) 2023 artistic endeavors

Requests done when?

So first off— status of requests. I want to complete them and hope to, but I can't say when I can. The big barrier here is that I no longer use Photoshop on my personal laptop. My computer is getting on in years and running something like Photoshop inches it closer to death with every use. I've had a few too many close calls and it's too expensive to replace right now.

However, despite taking a break from using Photoshop for covers for 6 months, I have found a decent alternative that is 1) kinder on my old laptop and 2) cheaper than Photoshop. For the designers out there, the new application is called Affinity Photo 2 and it's a Photoshop alternative that can do almost everything Photoshop can do, with the key word being almost.

This is not the first time I've had to switch to an alternative software and I've learned that while some skills are easily transferable, learning a new application always takes time— but that's not to say they won't be up to snuff. Some of the covers I made back in the day with GNU IMP, Pixlr for Desktop, and Procreate are some of my best work. I'll be doing my best to continue with that.

I won't be making or taking requests until said skills are a little more fine tuned, but I'm excited to be working towards it and will be making some premades! (PS-- the image at the top of this was made in Affinity Photo!)

A film, a novel, and a podcast, oh my!

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I am still using the Adobe Creative Suite for work on work devices and have been directing, writing, filming, video editing, and sound mixing for a documentary film for my job. I will be listed as "Creative Director" which is pretty cool and we have some big names attached to it. It's a science film, and while the views and interests reflect those of my employer not necessarily myself, I'm super duper excited to be working on it. This is the biggest creative project I've ever done and it's a new puzzle every day. It's really amazing to think that all these skills I'm using now started with Wattpad lol.

I also help run a podcast for work and have been drafting the basics for starting my own! It's been a cool project.

Lastly, one of my challenges for myself upon turning 25 was to write 250 words per day, rain or shine. Not always limited to one novel, but built to get me back in the habit. I've been mostly successful in this and will potentially be sharing some of that work here.

All of this is to say, I'm really happy to be working on a diverse set of creative projects and I can't wait to come back to Wattpad and cover creation soon! Happy writing!