Scene Thirteen

The air was infused with chicken sautéed in butter, capers, and a cream sauce. The eclectic collection of flavors divine even if the timing was a little off. Isis was simmering longer than she should have while waiting for the penne to finish boiling.

"This smells amazing." Matt had abandoned their studying at the table and was approaching her.

"Thanks. It's comfort food. Perfect for when my parents eat out and it's just the two of us."

Jade had followed Matt in. It didn't take much to see the focus of her little sister on the handsome classmate of hers. And why not? He's the right age, he's a good guy, and it's not like he's her mate. If he were, she would have known as of yesterday. Maybe the moon goddess will set him up to be her brother-in-law.

Although they had always wondered, she wasn't surprised or even that disappointed to find out he wasn't hers. He, on the other hand, seemed to be struggling. But his brave face and demeanor were determined to plow through and carry on.

Then again, he won't be satisfied until she shifts in a couple weeks. Only after her wolf ignores him will he be confident that they aren't meant to be.

The darkness outside turned the windows into one-way mirrors. There's an E6 out there, watching her. In the reflection she saw what he must be seeing. Her apron tied off, hair pulled back. Her sister hovering and a guy giving her attention.

She isn't interested in Matt - She wanted to scream that outside for no reason. Combine that with escorting her company out and bringing whoever is out there in for dinner would make the night perfect. Maybe not too much conversation. Maybe high levels of intensity. Maybe getting bent over the dining table with her face pushed into her calculus and her underwear pulled down...

"Is Auburn your number one choice?" Well that came out higher pitched than justified.

Her sister shared her same thick hair, but was much shorter in length. Isis found it easy to pull up longer hair into a ponytail for sports, but Jade preferred playing field hockey with shorter hair. This was an important sport, not because it was fun, but because it would increase her likelihood of being accepted to a top college. They didn't need the scholarship. Her parents had invested enough to comfortably send both their children to college. Now that only one college education would be financed it was more than easy to afford.

Since they rejected her request to pay for college, maybe they could have at least bought her a car. But why would they do that when Matt here will take her wherever she needs to go?

"I love Auburn. I was hoping to transfer there in a couple years," Matt smiled getting out of the way of Isis carrying an oversized pot of hot water and pasta to the sink. Something tells her that if it wasn't her first choice before, it certainly was now. The swoosh of starchy water pouring through a strainer downed out the excitement of the positive response. Her sister would be waiting for Matt in Alabama.

"We're going there in a couple weeks for a campus tour," Jade smiled as she took a seat at the counter. The bar stools were their usual seating when her parents weren't eating at home.

"Do you really need to go, though? Are you trying to get a vacation out of it?" Matt teased from next to Isis. He was desperately trying to hold onto her, she could tell. That urgency was leaking through and leading her poor sister on.

Or was it.

Could Matt be interested in Jade?

Oh, how wonderfully easy that would be.

The timing clicked with him eventually, but he knew better than to say anything about how her parents were abandoning her for her first shift, and taking her sister with them. Missing the last full moon could have been a mistake. It's rare that she would shift before her birthday, but not unheard of. This was blatant. If not on purpose, it was extremely neglectful. Either way, message received. She's on her own. And yet, even without Liam, she wouldn't want Matt there.