IX

You attempt to swallow the sudden lump in your throat when you stare back into the camera's dark, murky eye.

Your conversation with Dr. Cullen had been cut short when your coworker had run towards you, telling you that she had finished her interview right after Charlie's. Now it was your turn. You initially felt weary, telling her it was impolite to leave in mid-conversation. However, Dr. Cullen only smiled and encouraged you to 'run along', and only after hearing those words did you decide to go with your coworker.

The lady standing across from you adjusts the collar of her crimson blouse and she wraps her fingers tightly around the microphone in her hand. She talks to someone else holding a clipboard off to the side, and you snatch the chance to take in a quick sweep across the area. Officers are still scattered everywhere, repeating questions to anyone who would listen. Fewer and fewer people were being picked off now, and if you didn't leave soon, it seemed that you'd be the only one left.

It didn't quite sit right to have to tell the world what had happened only a few hours ago. But you were the one that found him after all.

Some people circled around the man behind the camera, intently watching so they wouldn't miss your moment in front of the camera. Cops and media were practically intertwined, people with wires were passing by people in badges. You spot your coworker in the crowd, a few other officers littered next to her. You recognized the other employees as well, though they were silent, and none of them shared your coworker's neighborly expression.

Your eyebrows raise in near-confusion when you catch Dr. Cullen and Charlie now, peculiarly, standing next to each other. Charlie's arms are crossed and Dr. Cullen's hand cups his chin as they both stare at you, directly in front of the camera and its crew. They're a few feet apart from each other, and neither of their lips is moving. They aren't talking to each other, and yet both pairs of eyes are trained directly on you.

"And you said that your name was (Name)?" The woman across from you finally turns back around to confirm who you were. You snap out of your stare as your face cuts back to hers, trying to ease back into some conversation.

"Yeah, that's me," you nodded.

"And just a few things," her words fly out almost faster than you can understand them, "you work here at the cafe, you're (Age) years old, you've lived in Forks how long?"

You pause for a moment to process before saying, "erm, all my life."

"Two minutes," the guy behind the camera chirps.

"Perfect," she mutters, "now when we go live, all that's gonna happen is I'm going to ask you some questions. Simple questions, you don't have to shy around any details. We just wanna know who you are, what happened today, what you think, everything we want to hear."

"Sounds simple enough," you reply, restlessly clasping your hands together. You sneak a glance back at Charlie and Dr. Cullen again, giving in to the gnawing curiosity. This time you do see their lips moving, yes, now they're speaking to each other. You feebly watch their mouths, yet struggle to figure out exactly what they're saying. All you see are their moving lips, bobbing heads, stiff postures, and unknown expressions.

"One minute," the camera guy calls out. The rest of the crew scrambles around your general vicinity, nearly blocking off the crowd directly behind the camera. There's a boom mic in your face now, the camera whirs to life only a few feet away. Your eyes flick back to the woman next to you as she fixes her blouse one more time. She brings the microphone closer to her face and lets out a deep sigh as the people surrounding her gradually disappear.

"No need to be nervous," a small smile arrives on her face and she mumbles to you, "the world's a stage after all."

You let out a tiny laugh out of your nose but decide not to reply.