🍏

in which SUBJECT 🌼 and SUBJECT 🌵 visit the DREAMER...

BASIL awoke screaming and bolt upright, with his neck and arms bruised and aching. his throat felt raw and bloody. every brush of the hospital sheets and gown against his black and blue skin felt like an explosion. he sat in an empty hospital room, with every corner of the room bursting with flowers and plush animals and t-shirts and...

he was in the hospital. he turned so his legs hung off the bed, and hopped down. bad idea. he clattered to the ground, his bare arms and legs screaming at the impact against the cold floor. he gasped sharply as a wave of nausea rolled through him. he squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his jaw, and the door to his room creaked open.

trying to fight off the screaming pain, he was aware of someone lifting him into his bed and asking him if he was alright. strong arms... it must have been KEL. KEL was stronger than he had been the last time he saw him. he opened his eyes after the overwhelming pain from the fall mostly subsided, and saw a tan and ivory marbled face with fluffy brown hair, grinning sympathetically down at him.

"hey BASIL! :D" KEL smiled. "you okay? the night before last seemed... a little rough. on you. and um, SUNNY." KEL looked down at the floor, before going to a table stocked with presents, fishing out a massive green one. he tossed it to basil, and it landed on the ground beside his bed. "oops." he picked it up, handing it to BASIL. "it's bulbasaur! a plush of him anyways :0 i know he's your favorite!" the plush was half the size of BASIL's body, and massively overstuffed.

BASIL squeezed the plush, burying his battered face in the massive bulb. it hurt. it hurt a lot against his bruisy face, but he wouldn't let that stop him from letting KEL know he loved it. "thanks KEL... it's super soft :)" small vines hung down from the bunch on its back, entangling his hands and spreading like hair. clumps of hair, hanging limply down. spread at the bottom of the stairs. b l o o d y.

BASIL winced and set it aside. KEL's eyebrows creased. "do you want to visit SUNNY? wait- do you think you can walk?" BASIL hesitated before nodding. he didn't want to worry KEL. "alright... you can lean on me though." KEL scooped him up, grabbing some fluffy slippers with snails on them for basil to wear. he turned towards the door, leaning against KEL. god, he was tall. and strong.

they walked down the halls until they reached room 143, where SUNNY was staying. BASIL was shaky, tucked under KEL's arm like a baby bird. it was so cold in the hospital, despite the flowery blanket hung around BASIL's shoulders. outside there was pale golden clouds, floating against a dawn-purple sky sparkling with stars. it was so pretty. why couldn't it be this peaceful all the time?

KEL cracked the door open, softly as he could. inside a boy lay in his hospital bed. he was thin and pale, with shaggy dark hair and bandages around his eye. scars lined his body, as well as fresh injuries from the fight. he looked so peaceful. like he wasn't real.

what is his name? 

SUNNY ☜

BASIL let out a shuddering breath, stepping towards SUNNY and nearly losing his balance before KEL caught him. BASIL was ushered toward the bed by KEL, until he was close enough to use the bed frame for support. the floors and walls in the hospital were blindingly white, even in the children's ward. SUNNY's ward was decorated with pictures of bunnies. they were cute.

he reached for SUNNY, to hold his hand or hug him or something. he needed to know SUNNY was real and really alive. he needed to know that everything was goin g  t o   b e   o k a y . SUNNY needed him. he needed SUNNY. they were best friends. he reached for SUNNY's hand. a   h a n d   r e a c h e d   b a c k ,  b l o o d y   r e d   a t   t h e   e d g e s   a n d      f    a    l    l   i   n   g

it's just SUNNY's hand. BASIL was seeing things again. he was going to be okay. SUNNY was going to be okay. BASIL held SUNNY's hand. there was no red hands. it was all okay. SUNNY squeezed his hand, and BASIL's heart flew to his brain. then he remembered that people twitch while they're asleep. it's normal.

"how's he doing?" KEL made his way to BASIL's side, putting his hand on SUNNY's shoulder. SUNNY gasped softly and squeezed his eyes shut. something leaked out from behind his eyepatch. seeing the blood, BASIL clenched his jaw. he did this. but... it sparkled and shone. it was a deep dawn purple, full of stars. like the sky. it ran down his face. BASIL felt dizzy. SOMETHING grabbed his hand. it was red.