🍓

in which subject 💐 enjoys one of her first normal days...

AUBREY twisted a strawberry off the plant, flower petals brushing her bruised knuckles. she stood in a strawberry field, holding an old PICNIC BASKET. it was full of summer-ripe berries, full of sunshine and healthy, warm tones of red. AUBREY and her friends had gone strawberry-picking, because of it being prime berry season. and... she had invited KEL and BASIL as well. SUNNY... she would have invited SUNNY. strawberries were always their favorite. 

a light breeze tickled the back of her neck as she stood pensively, watching everybody play and eat. it reminded her of mari's picnics... except with different friends. MIKHAEL and KEL ate strawberries together, getting juice all over their faces. KIM and VANCE tried eating different candies and a strawberry at the same time, testing the flavor combinations. ANGEL, CHARLIE, and BASIL were picking flowers and making flower crowns.

it was such a nice day, and she meandered through she calf-high strawberry plants under the warm sun. god, this was probably the happiest she had felt in a while. she had a plan for the evening, but the whole day was just enjoying the life that had miraculously returned to all the parts of her being, from her bruised fingers to her shattered core. it was glowing and so, so filling to feel alive for the first time in four years.

KIM noticed her aimless rambling among the flowers, perked up, and made her way over to AUBREY, holding a chocolate bar and a fresh strawberry. the chocolate was vaguely melted, and held a strange shade of greyish brown. the strawberry looked nice, though. healthy and juicy. KIM started to run faster, strawberry aimed like a spear towards AUBREY's face. AUBREY and the strawberry met and-

there was juice and strawberry mush splattered all over her upper lip. it was sweet, warm, sunkissed. delicious. these strawberries were definitely at their prime. maybe she'd sneak out later, eat some more. her mother was always passed out cold by ten at night, so it would be easy. and she would be hungry.

"oh- AUBS, i- i didn't-" KIM stuttered, holding back giggles. "...REVENGE!! rahh!!" AUBREY splatted a strawberry against the side of KIM's face. it ran down her cheek, staining her dinosaur hoodie. "oh now it's ON." KIM gave a mischievous grin before picking a strawberry and chucking it at AUBREY. AUBREY caught it in her mouth, biting into its sweet flesh. she tossed one at KIM, but it missed, dejectedly hitting the ground.

they tossed berries to one another, sometimes catching them, sometimes eating them, sometimes missing. the day had started to warm, and they had started to sweat and tire. AUBREY collapsed under a willow by a pond at the edge of the field and KIM followed soon after, sprawling across her lap. they stared up into the shadow made by the willow leaves. the long, soft branches made a canopy over the two, and it was like their own little world. 

KIM gazed up at AUBREY. "y'know, you're like so pretty. it's- it's wild! like, i can't believe it." KIM put her hands around AUBREY's face, and smiled. AUBREY felt her face heat up, despite the shade of the willow. (yes they ARE gay and they ARE dating) "well- uh- you're pretty!! prettier!!" AUBREY blustered, looking past KIM's face to the water. "aww, someone's getting flustered!" KIM tapped AUBREY's face.

"c'mon! let's go i want more strawberries!!" KIM yanked her up, and they emerged from the willow's canopy, running into the field with their hands intertwined. a light breeze blew over the fields, rippling the white blossoms and the red fruit together. light cumulus clouds ruffled across the summer-blue sky, and they stopped in the middle of the field, taking deep breaths of the sweet berry scent.

before she knew it, KIM was swooping her up with her strong arms. they stood in the middle of the strawberry field, two kids together. KIM held her bridal style, and AUBREY was just close enough that her hair blew behind KIM a little bit, like a cape. AUBREY leaned into the embrace, leaning her head on KIM's shoulder. there they were, and it was like a dream, even though KIM was struggling to stay upright under her weight and AUBREY was in a ratty thrift store t-shirt for some random children's enrichment program. they were happy for once, and that counted for something, right?