Luna

Under the light of a full moon, near (Y/N)'s gravesite, Eclipse watched as the egg before her cracked and fell apart. Very faintly, the memory of meeting (Y/N) after her own hatching rang through her mind. But, now, laying in the center of bits of broken eggshell, was her own daughter. Unlike Blue and Beta, the two of them were not identical, although it was easy to see the similarity. The baby had similar crescent-shaped white marks around her eyes but where Eclipse had a patch of grey in between there was white instead. The baby still had the black shifting into grey patterns although the black shifted to grey earlier and the grey was lighter. The white strip along her back was thicker than Eclipse's and spilled down her side like paint, stopping about halfway down her side.  

(Y/N) and Eclipse only had a short amount of time to think through different names the day Eclipse showed her the egg, the same day she died. But they had managed to settle on a few names depending on different situations. Eclipse looked up at the full moon and as she roared the name Luna rang through her memories to the forefront of her mind. 

Eclipse looked back down at Luna, who was staring up at her with wide, fascinated amber eyes. Eclipse lowered her head to the baby's level, very gently touching their snouts together. After a few moments Luna, after many failed attempts, made it to her feet, directing a happy mini-roar to up her mother. She moved her tail to one side a little too far and tipped over. Eclipse circled around her before curling up around her, their bodies pressed close. Eclipse stared at (Y/N)'s headstone for a long time before she turned her head in by Luna's side. 

As the sun was starting to rise Eclipse heard footsteps approaching from the forest; her eyes snapped open, and sprang to her feet, placing herself between Luna and the sound, already growling.

"It's okay. It's just me. I figured you'd be here when you weren't at the nest," Owen said, holding a hand up to her.

Eclipse's eyes drifted back to Luna before Owen spoke again.

"Let me guess, Luna?" Owen questioned.

Eclipse's eyes snapped back toward him, a slow nod providing the answer. Luna began to stir behind her mother.

"Figured. That's one of the names (Y/N) came up with after you were born in case there was another one like you," Owen stated.

"Of course, I'm pretty sure you're one of a kind," Owen thought.

Eclipse looked at him as if to say "what else are you here for?"

Owen caught onto the look, "I'll have Colt come over and take a look at her just to make sure."

By this time Luna was awake and looking back and forth between her mother and the newcomer. Eclipse seemed to convey the message that he wasn't going to hurt them and Luna wandered closer to him.  

Owen knelt down as she got closer, "Curious one, aren't you? Just like your mother, and I'm sure I know where she got it from."

Owen let Luna get used to him, play out her curiosity, then looked back at Eclipse whose gaze kept drifting between the grave and Luna. 

"I miss her too," Owen started.

Eclipse's gaze focused on him as he looked at the ground.

"But, there are things to be done and you knew her better than anyone so you should know she wouldn't want us standing around feeling sorry," Owen continued, looking back up at her, a few tears gathering in his eyes as he rose to his feet.

He was right, Eclipse knew that, (Y/N) had always wanted to get things done right away, and focus on other things later. But she was still hesitant to leave this part of her life to the back of her mind. What if she had never left (Y/N) alone in that forest? There would've been other eggs to take priority later, there was only one (Y/N). As soon as she started to sink into those thoughts, Luna let out a half-roar, half-squeak, looking up at her. No, she couldn't be thinking things like that, things played out the way they did, there was nothing that could change the past, she could only do better in the future. 

"Come back to the cabin, we'll get you two some food while we're waiting, maybe Blue and Beta will pay us a visit," Owen finally spoke. 

Eclipse walked next to Owen and Luna next to her. Eclipse had made this trip so many times that she could've done it in her sleep but even when Owen was along, (Y/N) had always been in Luna's place. Her life had changed forever, that was a solid fact. But when she looked down at Luna, happily trailing along beside her, blissfully unaware of the world around her, she couldn't help but feel happy for the first time since (Y/N)'s death.