Close Call

In the following weeks, Eclipse began teaching Luna how to hunt, find her way through the forest, and survive in general. Every day they would check in on Owen, Maisie, and Claire although they usually made it quick. Only a month and a half after Luna hatched, a low-grade hybrid was spotted in the area. Since (Y/N)'s death, hybrids had been given three classes. Low-grade, they pose the least threat and have very simple genetics, usually two different types of DNA, these are the most common type. Regular hybrids, they pose a medium threat level, usually 3 or 4 different types of DNA. Then there's high-threat which is pretty self-explanatory, they pose the highest threat level and have complex genetics, this is the class the hybrid that killed (Y/N) falls into. 

"Maybe you should stay here, just until they get that hybrid caught," Owen suggested one day.

Eclipse simply huffed in his face and ran back into the forest with Luna close behind her. Luna was a priority but she had promised (Y/N) to take care of Owen, she couldn't put them in danger. Regardless, Eclipse made sure to keep Luna away from potentially dangerous situations; only allowing her out of the nest if they were going to check in on Owen and the others. It wasn't until she was out hunting a few days later that Eclipse first caught a scent of the hybrid, it was distant but strong. Every instinct in her body told her to go back to the nest, that getting food could wait, but she also knew that her nest was well hidden and the hybrid was far enough away that she had plenty of time. So, she decided she'd finish her hunt and then return to the nest as quickly as possible. 

It didn't take long to find and claim her prey but in that time the scent seemed to have moved closer. She returned to find her nest undisturbed but as the night drew closer and closer, the scent only continued to get stronger. While Luna slept, Eclipse kept her eyes locked on the gap in the bushes that provided a view of the outside world. In the distance, she heard a roar.

"Triceratops."

It wasn't long before she heard unnatural footsteps near the nest. She curled herself tighter around Luna. The only problem with their nest was that there was only one way in and out. She saw the feet pass by painfully slow and even once it was long gone, Eclipse remained tense, barely moving for the rest of the night. When Eclipse brought Luna to check in on Owen and the others she was surprised to see Blue and Beta there. 

"I'm thinking you're all here for the same reason," Owen concluded.

By this time, Beta was already half-grown and still remained an exact copy of her mother. No one was quite sure why Luna turned out differently. Owen had made the decision a long time ago that once it became too dangerous, he would move Blue and Beta to a sanctuary. But it was (Y/N)'s last wish that Eclipse remained in the wild and Owen knew there was no way he'd be able separate Eclipse and Luna. 

The next day, Blue and Beta were taken away, Owen didn't want to see them go but he didn't want to see them die either. Being in a sanctuary didn't guarantee that but at least there weren't hybrids there. Eclipse left the area along with Luna, but she still returned to check on Owen and visit (Y/N)'s grave every few weeks. But until Luna was older and stronger, they would remain in their new home. It wasn't as nice as the forest but nothing big enough to pose a threat entered the area. The world was cold and unforgiving but they still had a place in it and they were willing to fight for it.