Let The Fight Begin

Luna, still pinned under the hybrid's foot, looked at her mother but Eclipse kept her eyes locked on the hybrid. The look in her eyes was nothing like anything Luna had ever seen, a burning fury mixed with fear and grief. Slowly, the hybrid turned to face Eclipse, taking his foot off of Luna who scrambled to her feet and retreated into the trees, only remaining close enough to see what was happening. The two of them began circling each other, swapping growls and snapping at each other. He had let Eclipse live the last time, but this time it was clear he had no intention of fleeing. 

He made the first move, charging at her. They both possessed above-average intelligence but Eclipse had faced and been trained for situations just like this for most of her life. Thanks to her smaller size she was faster and ducked beneath him, slamming into his legs and knocking him to the ground. He managed to catch her with his tail, leaving her with a medium-sized puncture wound on her left shoulder. With all the adrenaline rushing through her system, she barely felt it and took the opportunity to jump on his back and sink her teeth into his neck. He roared, rising to his feet and attempting to shake her off which only allowed her teeth to cause more damage. Finally, he threw himself back down on the ground, smashing her snout between the ground and his hard scales, breaking off two of her teeth and causing her to lose her grip. 

He twisted around, digging his claws into her neck and the soft scales on her belly. This time she felt it and roared in pain, thrashing against him. She knew Owen would still be a fair distance behind, and she knew that his gun wouldn't do any good. She was stuck and the hybrid intended to draw out her death as much as possible. 

Meanwhile, Luna paced back and forth anxiously, watching the battle unfold before her. She knew jumping into danger would earn her the scolding of her life but when the hybrid sunk its claws in, she knew a scolding was a thousand times better than a dead mother. Without really thinking she rushed into the fight, copying her mother and jumping on the hybrid's back, sinking her teeth into his neck, her front claws into his shoulders, and her back claws into his back. He tore his claws out of Eclipse, leaving gaping holes where they had been. She jumped right back into the fight once she realized what had happened. Even if she wanted to be, there was no time to be upset with Luna right now. This was a fight that they could win if they played all their cards right, whether both of them would survive or not, they'd have to wait and see.