Dreams Fall Apart When We Wake

"This is your room. You won't have much time to settle in so just get changed for dance practice. Don't make me wait." Barks my new dance teacher. Glancing back at me with her knife cut eyes she walks away.

Taking in the small rundown room I set down my one meager suitcase and backpack. The only things I brought with me were clothes and a couple of relics from my broken childhood. Shuffling through my backpack I find wrinkled t-shirt and an old pair of sweatpants with a coffee stain near the knee. I walk out with my phone and a hat.

Since the dorms are right next to the company, it only takes me 5 minutes to get changed and find the dance studio. Walking in I find 10 other girls around my age and younger. I start stretching, waiting for the teacher to give instructions, when a petite girl with bleached hair walks up to me and asks "Who are you?"

Looking her up and down I reply "Kim Aera. I'm new."

"Obviously." She rolls her eyes. "You stick out like a sore thumb. You look nice. Easy to beat."

"Stop talking! Line up!" The dance teacher interrupts.

Watching the girl as we all slide into a row, I note her body language. She's overconfident. It was a warning. To not be better than her.

----

Opening my phone I see it's around 5:50 pm. I look at the sky and breathe in the musty nighttime air. Thinking I'd be worse than half of the girls in that studio, I tried my best. But I didn't even break a sweat and found I was around the top in talent rankings. I sludge to a nearby convenience store to buy a 밥버거 kimbap burger and some 볼탁 buldak for a small snack before I head back to the company for a vocal pretest. Setting down my tiny meal in an empty 711, I flip open my phone and delete a couple of spam emails and ready to close it again when I get a call.

*Buzz Buzz Buzz* [ Byung-ho (병호) calling ]

I hit the decline button. I'm too exhausted to answer him right now. The perfect child. The first born. It will always be him. The favorite. Staring at the dark window, I see my reflection. The tall build with sloping shoulders. A shaggy boy cut with a few earrings on each ear. But all I see is the mistake. The problem. A failure. A disappointment. Standing up I snap my phone shut and walk away, shoving whatever was left of my meal into the trash.

I head toward the vending machine in the lobby of the company to get a water. Chugging it as I turn the corner just to be met by the outstretched leg of the bleached girl.

*Bang*

My fall is echoed around the empty corridor and I stand up soaked.

I smile at her and apologize. "My fault. Sorry I wasn't looking where I was going."

She plasters on a look that I can't tell if it's pleasure or disgust. "아이고 Aigoo. I can't believe you did that. I'm afraid I won't be accepting your apology. But let's hang out."

Keeping my smile I tilt my head. "Why?"

She throws her head up and give one small cackle. "My room is next to yours. Come over after your test." She gives me a quick sharp nudge and struts away.

Staring at the empty space I feel my gut wrench at the thought of being in the same room as her.

How did she find me? How did our paths cross again? How did she recognize me?

a/n : i think that all of my chapters will be short. sorry guys! i don't think anyone will read this anyways but i might publish a buncha chapters one day or none. also! a warning. later on, there may be snippets of inappropriate encounters or thoughts of a character you find a bit depressing.

*this story contains graphic descriptions and abuse.*