The Process of Waking Up from a Dream

-- 8 years ago --

The lights outside of the GS25 that my brother worked at sparkled like a miniature galaxy. Sipping on my 딸기 우유 strawberry milk, I stare out into the mildly busy streets and separate lives walking outside in the frosty air. Though it is beginning to warm, it's still freezing in the mornings and at night. I hear footsteps behind me and turn as a steaming bowl of 신라면 ramyeon is set down beside me, topped with an egg and mozzarella cheese.

"Yum!" I exclaim while breathing in the delicious scent, making my stomach rumble.

"Didn't we just eat something?" Balam asks me in amusement. Watching me get ready for the steaming noodles to burn the roof of my mouth.

"I have a big appetite." I grin as the noodles slide into my mouth. Starting on her own bowl of 라면 ramyeon, she takes in a big mouthful of noodles, sausage, and cheddar.

We sit in a comfortable silence as a playlist (curated by me) plays welcoming rnb songs from the time I spent a summer in the United States. The smooth tones and overall vibe makes the lights outside a bit dimmer and my brain fuzzy. Right when I had filled my stomach with the warm spicy broth and was nodding my head in drowsiness after three or four shots of 소주 soju (I mean, I'm turning 20 next year after I graduate. Beside, my legal guardian basically gave me permission. Hyung and Balam are getting a little tipsy too.) , THE song came on.

Shooting up, I startle my hyung and Balam, and start dancing around singing to The Most Beautiful Thing by Bruno Major.

"Will it be a pavement or a sidewalk,
when I finally lay my eyes on you?
Someone I've already loved, will you find your way out of the blue?
Will it be my flat or your apartment,
when I finally realize I do."

Balam laughs and looks towards my hyung.

"오빠 oppa. Is she always like this?" She keeps her.soft gaze on me, clunking her plastic shot cup with my hyung's. He laughs and wrinkles his nose.

"This is only the beginning." He says. I glare at him.

"Shush! The best part is coming up!" Continuing at the chorus I belt the lyrics.

"I don't know who you are, but I'll save you a seat.
Hang my coat on the chair next to me.
I tried to reassure the waiter,
said you're down the street.
He laughed at me. So here's to you.
The most beautiful thing that I have never seen."

Okay so I'm a little tipsy, it's not like I'd do anything stupid. I'm so tired though. I think about my warm cozy room in me and my brothers apartment. Before I know it, I'm walking out the door to head home. I almost topple into the road before Balam rushes to my side and grabs my wrist.

"야! Hey! 너 미쳤어? Are you crazy? " She whisper -screams in my face.

"I have had a drink before" I slur. She shakes my shoulders a bit. The world spinning round and round. Balam spinning and splitting in half. I grab the face of the closest half and cup her face and pull it towards me.

"야 hey. Stop moving. I can't see your eyes. They're really pretty." Her breath catches. She stares into my soul for a bit and glances down at my chin. She leans forward.

"What are you doing?" I ask. She smirks and plants a soft kiss on my lips.

a/n : is this moving too fast? to whoever may be reading, please lmk! balam just kissed aera. the average girl who thinks she's mediocre in everything and never great at anything. what do you think will happen between them? lmk your predictions :)

[ be ready! the next chapter jumps back to the present. you're in for a shock. mwahaha ]

*this story contains graphic descriptions and abuse*