Chapter 2: Olivier Baptiste

Keira's POV
When I was marrying Jason, his mother called me a child. I was twenty one. According to her, I didn't have valid opinions to bring to the table where my wedding was concerned. She took over the wedding planning and I was only to wait to wear the gown and marry Jason. Beiges, creams and peaches later, I married her son. It was a dull wedding.

At some point I fantasized about being Mrs Bale. I fantasized about a wedding. But if it was to happen I would be dealing with another controlling mother in law. Marianna looks like the kind to want to run the show. I think that is why she doesn't get along with Nick because he too is a control freak.

This wedding is different. In this wedding, there is no mother-in-law to contend with. There is only one other person to battle. Marissa.

Marissa is a beautiful, straight faced woman with an iron fist. I guess to manage a man like Theo, you have to be tough as nails. She keeps him together. She keeps him functioning. She is his right arm as much as she is also his mouthpiece. She doesn't like me. She does not even have to say it. It's in her actions and the cold glares she throws at me since before I came to France. After surviving Margaux Deveraux, no one fazes me. I'm past wanting to be liked.

Today isn't any different with Marissa. The cold jabs from the green eyes are the hello she gives.

"Thank you for gracing us with your presence snow white." The occasional dash of sarcasm is only part of what she serves me. I was up early but I spent most of the morning throwing up. "This is the team."

I studied the five faces seated around the table; three men and two women.

"Team?"

"Being Mrs Sinclair is not a small time affair like being a suburban housewife." More jabs. I was a bored suburban housewife until Nickolas Bale spiced up my life. Hasn't she gotten the memo? Keira Charlotte Ballard is numb to emotion. At least she's fighting to stay numb. Why am I talking about myself in third person? "Your personal driver. Your head of security. Your stylist. Your personal assistant. Your publicist."

"Is all this really necessary Marissa? I have always been on my own and I was fine."

"Were you?" She raised an eyebrow at me. "I know how to do my job."

"No one said you didn't." I narrowed my eyes at her. It's too early for this drama. "Excuse me."

"Keira, sit down." She ordered me.

"Or what?" I asked her and made my way towards the kitchen. I'm starving and she's already on my case.

I heard the sound of her heels on the marble floor. "Keira!" She took hold of my wrist and yanked me close to her. "You never undermine me! Do you understand me? Know your place. I'm Theo's right hand and you are-"

"The woman who is bearing me an heir. My baby." Theo is casually leaning against one of the pillars leading to the kitchen. "Get your hands off her."

She dropped my arm quickly. "Theo, I went out of my way to arrange a meeting and she disrespects me in front of the staff!"

"She's having a rough morning." He answered flatly. "Have your meeting and have her assistant brief her on what you discuss. Is t that an assistant's job?"

"Yes."

"Marissa, let me be clear about something. I'm here..." He gestured high above his head. "Keira is here, he gestured in the middle. "You are there." He pointed to the floor. "Know your place."

He walked past her.

He greeted me with a solid kiss on my lips. "Good morning ma beaute. Let's have breakfast in the gazebo."