Chapter 4: A Lost Relative

Theo's POV
The wedding date is fast approaching. I can't wait to have her as a wife. My wife. From the moment she opened her beautiful deep blue eyes on the beach, from that moment I was taken. I couldn't get her out of my head no matter how hard I tried. I didn't care that she was Nick's at the time. I wanted her and I pursued her. I went to New York for her and I was not going to leave without her. I was ready to manipulate, blackmail and do whatever it takes to have her. Thank goodness Nick gave up. She didn't need to see that side of me.

While my initial intention was to take her away from Nick just to spite him, things have changed. I have to remind myself at every waking second that I should not fall in love with her. I know for a fact I will never have her heart. She left it in Nick's hands. He pushed her away and she still loves him. Why? I don't understand how this thing called love works. It's stupid!

When I saw her being the victim of every angry woman in Manhattan, my heart was broken. I wanted to fight that battle for her. But as much as it's my intention to protect her, I can't fight all her battles. That is why I want her to be strong. I want her to be more than she is now. I want her to be formidable. I want her to be a force to be reckoned with. I want people to think twice before picking a fight with her. If I'll have to erode all that sweetness in her then I will. But I'm ambivalent about that because I love her sweetness. I love how different she is from the breed of women I'm used to. Maybe the sweetness can be preserved but she has to be tough.

Her wedding gift is something I have been working on for six years. After the navy, I started creating companies and selling them. Olivier Baptiste wasn't caving on the inheritance and I needed money. Starting and selling companies helped me maintain my lifestyle. The one I have right now is the last one. After this, I'm giving all my attention to the Sinclair Freight. I'm planning to give Cruise Marina to Keira as a wedding gift. I'll completely back out of it, put it in her name and allow her to carry on. She has lost so much. She deserves to start winning.

"Theo? Are you busy?"

I closed the book I'm reading. "Not busy for you ma chérie. What do you need?"

She is a tall beauty. She belongs on a runway but somehow she's oblivious of how beautiful she is. My eyes settled on her midsection for a moment. I hope I will love the fruit of her womb like my own. It's Nick's blood. I hate Nick.

"My uncle called."

Uncle? I really don't want to deal with relatives. I hate relatives. They complicate everything!

"I didn't know you were in touch with your relatives. Which side if the family?"

"My mother's." I took her wrist and guided her to sit on my lap. My hand rested on the fair skin just above her knee. I cannot wait to consummate our marriage. "Her older brother."

"What does he want?"

"He said he's in France and he'd like to talk to me. Can I meet him? I have never met any relatives from her side of the family."

"Tell him to come here." My biggest fear is letting her out of my sight. Nick may just pull one over me and her foolish heart will send her back into his arms.

"I will." She texted on her phone. I watched her carefully, taking in her beauty. I wonder what her child will look like. If it's a girl... I have no words. She will be beautiful. "He says he can be here within the hour."

"Don't you find it strange that he's looking for you now? Where was he when your mother passed away? Where was he when all of Manhattan was on your case?"

"It is strange but he's the closest thing I have to my mother."

"But you've never met him."

"Still, won't you give anything to meet someone who was close to your mother or your father?"