friends don't look at each other like that

Exer leaned on the counter looking over at David sat in the golden sun. He looked so serene and beautiful bathed in the afternoon glow. His eyes were hazy as he looked out the window, his mind elsewhere.

'God could he get anymore pretty' Exer thought as his cheeks grew warmer the longer he gazed at his best friend. Exer was lost in his own thoughts that were mostly surrounding his very handsome best friend.

"Hey exer, hermano yo we got  customers to serve so stop making goo goo eyes at your boyfriend over there. " Marco snapped his fingers a few times just to be sure he had dragged exer out of his day dream.

"Wha-Oh oh yeah sorry I'll get back to work sorry " exer apologised turning back to making a latte for David 'wait...'

"Wait no! He isn't my boyfriend we're just friends there's no way he'd ever like me! plus I dated his sister there no way he'd want to date me after that"

"Haha yeah ok sure hermano, have you gone to opticians recently?"

"What I don't need glasses my vision is fine." Exer looked at Marco in confusion.

"hmm sure whatever you say bud, also focus on the latte"

Exer looked down and realised he'd almost spilt milk  all over the counter.
"Oh shit ".
The cup over flowed and exer started making a clumsy attempt to clean it up.

....

Eventually Exer manages to finish David latte. He'd made sure to take extra care with the latte art since David had complimented exers latte making skills so he wanted to show a smige.

Not because he was trying to impress David. . . OK maybe he was trying to impress David just a bit.

And just like clock work as soon as he finished davids latte it was time for the end of his shift. Although he's fairly certain he had a few minutes left but who was he to argue.

"One latte for a mister David Miller"

"Oh Exer you're here! Oooo this latte art looks really good"

Exer felt heat rush to his cheeks he was almost certain he was bright red right now but under David's praise he melted like hot butter. And it didn't help that David was giving Exer one of the most handsome, pretty and warm smiles Exer had ever bared witness to.

"Uhhh yeah yeah thanks Day I'm really glad you like it , anyways what's up any reason you wanted me all to yourself after I finished my long day at work? haha I'm just joking, but seriously what was it you wanted to chat about ?"

Now it was davids turn to turn 50 shades of red
'if only I could have you all to myself... wait no bad brain stop that'

"Haha what a guy can't just chat with his best friend these days ?"

"Come of it man you know what I mean"

"Ha yeah I'm kidding I was gonna ask if umm..."
David was completely stumped to be honest he just came to the café cause he wanted to see exer he really couldn't think of anything to say. His brain had gone completely blank in the presence of Exer. He looked around for an idea that's when his eyes landed on a poster advertisement on the café pin board for the cinema.

"Wouldyouliketogoseeafilmwithmethisweekendifyou'refree"

"...what?" Exer asked in confusion his head tilted to the side like a puppy. Which didn't make things any easier for David.

"Would you like to see a movie at the cinema this weekend with me?"

"Yeah sure! Will Ron be coming ?"

"Erm I was thinking it could just be the two of us but we can totally invite-"

"NO... um sorry I mean no its fine just me and you is good it'll be like old times, we haven't hung out just the two of us in a while" Exer interrupted, slightly embarrassed by his outburst it's not like he wouldn't be happy if Ron came it's just... Was it so wrong to want some quality one on one time with his best friend ?!

"No I get it its fine I was thinking the same thing is Saturday good for you"

"Erm let me check , HEY Marco "

"What ?" Marco yelled back luckily by this time there weren't many costumers left and the ones that were left were leaving so they didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone.

"Do I have a shift on Saturday ? If I do can I swap with someone for a Sunday shift instead"

"You don't have to do that it's fine we can just go some other time" David said he had turned slightly pink at the thought of being important enough to Exer that he'd work on a Sunday just so he could hang out with him.

"Luckily for you hermano your off on Saturday so you can go on your date hehe" Marco answered exer with a laugh in his voice.

"It's not a date Marco!"
Exer mutterd ,bright red.

'Ouch that kind of stung'  thought David but its fine they were just friends after all. And technically Exer wasn't wrong it wasn't a date because David didn't have the balls to ask him out on a proper date.

Oh shit David looked at the clock dad wants him home soon.

"Ah shit I gotta go Exer let's talk more about the details tomorrow at school "

"Oh right OK yeah see ya tomorrow Day "

David waved bye through the café window and Exer waved back.

Once David was gone he let out a huge sigh and rested his head on the table cheeks bright red. Marco came over and gave him a pat on the back.

"Come'on hermano it's closing time so come help with washing the last few dishes,  also watching you two is so difficult you're both so painfully oblivious of each other."

"Alright I'm coming " Exer answered though he chose to ignore the second half of Marcos sentence instead thinking about Saturday. It kinda sounded like a date in his head which made him feel a bit giddy like he was walking air.