Ch 29 - The Pack Survives

Walking through the halls of the Red Keep I wanted to leave this city the second we rode into the castle gates. My brown hair was tied up in a bun with me wearing some gray trousers and a brown tunic shirt. Small black summertime boots tied tightly with a sword hanging on my left hip. "I don't understand why I had to come here. My wedding won't even take place until a few months. I could have stayed back North for all they care." I muttered to myself in annoyance.

"Permit me to share some womanly wisdom with you on this very special day. The more people you love the weaker you are. You'll do things for them that you know you shouldn't. You'll act a fool to make them happy, to keep them safe." Halting in my tracks I peeked into my sister's room seeing the queen talking with Sansa. "Love no one but your children. On that front a mother has no choice."

My sister asked softly. "But shouldn't I love Joffrey, your grace?"

"You can try, little dove." The queen responded leaning back in her armchair.

Pressing my body up against the doorway I hid around the corner listening in on their conversation like I would do with our parents back home. I always felt like everyone was lying to me since I was born a true Targaryen and didn't find out until years later that I wasn't a Stark. "Will that be the same for my sister Cadence. Is she going to have the same fate as I am?"

"My brother is a different story. He has been sworn to the kingsguard for many years. He swore to take no wife and have no children. So from that notion I would say that he isn't capable of loving anyone." The golden lioness speaks in a dry tone where I could sense she was leaving something else out.

Sansa leaned forward in her chair trying to have some hope for my well being. Now that she was starting to see who the Lannister's really were along with the Baratheon children. "But he would protect her with his life, your grace. Even if he may never love her as you say."

"He will do whatever my father tells him to do. Become lord of the Rock and put a child in your sister." The queen rose to her feet making me press my back against the wall hoping she won't see me when she leaves. "As I told you moments ago, little dove. The only thing she won't be able to resist is loving the children he gives her. All the rest she will be incredibly lucky to receive."

Lifting my head up from sleeping on my horse while we rode the last few miles I could see a tiny image of Castle Black in the distance. I never imagined that I would ride further North and away from Winterfell but here we are. Jaime was still holding our baby girl in his arms since the horses weren't running as fast since we we're reaching the gates. Kicking my horse in the belly I called Joanna flying beside me rushing straight towards the place in my sights. "Heya come on girl. Come on now!"

Jaime chuckled at my forwardness following after me on his own horse. Galloping towards the gates Joanna released a shriek flying over the castle causing some of the guards to point their weapons to the sky. Most people in the North had rarely ever seen a dragon even during the time the Tarageryns ruled the land. Northerners stayed where they felt safe in their own areas. The gate lifted up by the time Jaime and I were waiting outside. Together we slowly walked inside for me to immediately attempt to dismount my horse seeing Jon standing there smiling at me. "Jon!"

"Cadence!" He rushed forward once my boots hit the snowy ground and I fling my arms tightly around him. He secured his arms around me spinning me around in circles of laughter, finally sitting me back down on my feet once more. "Gods I've missed you, little dragon."

Gripping his forearms in my hands I felt happy tears falling down my face at the sight of him here before me now. The last time we saw each other he left his hair that curly mess and was heading off to join the knights watch. Now he has his hair in a bun and from what Sansa wrote in her letter he had been named Lord Commander. "It's beyond words how happy I am to see you, Jon. I honestly never thought I would see any of my family again."