Ch 40 - The Targaryen Queen

A Few Years Later

The Iron Throne had been destroyed. The throne that kings and queens fought over for thousands of years until a dragon burnt it to the ground. The six kingdoms have been faring quite well over the years. It took a lot of long hours and council meetings to get the country back into shape. Sansa had her hands full running the North as an independent kingdom like our brother Robb wanted it to be before he died. “What if I am not good enough, Father. They may have accepted Bran as King but he isn’t the last dragon?”

Lifting my head up in the room I shared with Jaime in the rebuilt Kings Landing castle I was still feeling uneasy about all this. Eyeing myself in the large mirror leaned up against the wall I slumped my shoulders. The dress I had chosen was red and golden with gray and black designs across it. It was short sleeved showing a banner seal of the 
Lannister lion and the Targaryen dragon split together to combine one house seal. I had my riding boots on like normal running my hands down the fabric until arms wrapped around my waist from behind. “You have nothing to be nervous about, my dragon wife.”

“Jaime…” Spinning around in his arms I draped my arms on his shoulders lifting my gaze up so I could meet his green orbs. “We have been traveling so much with the kids. Casterly Rock to here and then Dragonstone. All over too many times to count, I just don’t want the people to think that I am not looking out for them too.”

He tilted his head to the side, raising his left hand up to cradle my cheek. Leaning into his palm he slowly spoke to me. “Listen, little dragon. Ruling isn’t easy and you are a mother first. I told you once that the rest of the world doesn’t matter, it’s just us.”

“But that can’t be true-“ He cuts me off with a quick kiss resting his forehead against mine.

He whispered back where my fingers gripped onto his armor that he was wearing. He wasn’t a Kingsguard but he decided to wear the golden armor on my coronation day. He was wearing the Lannister colors underneath like usual. “It is still true, Lynesse. As long as we are in this room or one of our chambers in either place we call home. We don’t have to worry about responsibility…all we focus on is our family.”

“Daddy!” A child’s cry came from the other side of the door making us break away from each other. He opened the door getting his legs tackled by our youngest daughter Guinevere.

The girl wrapped her arms around his legs giggling. She had taken after her father with the green eyes that almost would match my eyes at some points . But she had fully taken to having my white hair that looked blonde when she was in the sunlight. “Be careful there, little G.” I responded, bending down on my knee tugging her off her father’s leg and up into my arms.

“Mommy, Eddie keeps asking to see Uncle Tyrion.” Another girl’s voice that belonged to our eldest Rhaenyra ran inside the room where I could see her wearing a red short dress and trousers coming towards me. Her hair was in two separate braids falling over her shoulders.

Finally as if on cue Eddard entered afterwards. The locks of golden hair scattered everywhere in a set of messy curls almost on top of his head. He was wearing a training sword, reminding me so much of Arya. “He is Hand of the King, Rhae!….oh and Queen. Sorry mother.”

“It’s alright, Ed. I am not the Queen just yet.” Bouncing Guinevere on my hip I sent him a smile enjoying that he accepted his uncle with such happiness. Everyone in the world had hated the dwarf for long enough.

Guinevere tugged on my dress strap asking in her sweet voice. “Does that make daddy King?”

“It’s not like that, little lioness.” Her father stepped up taking her from my arms, ticking her stomach making her giggle loudly. “Your cousin Bran is king. I am simply the husband to the Queen of the Six kingdoms.”