24

When the next session finally came, it was I, of all people, who was late.
I had been able to persuade the Weasley twins to let us hold our sessions in their little secret room. And by persuade, I mean blackmail. If Filtch got even a whiff of a clue, months of work would be lost for the twins.

With one last look over my shoulder, I made sure no one was around, then slipped inside. After only a few feet, I entered the soundproof enchantment and immediately heard the voices of the three Weasleys.

"What does that smell like to you?" one of the twins asked.

"Go away with that. It's none of your business!" screeched Ginny.
She scuffled with Fred, who tried to hold a vial full of pink shiny liquid under his sister's nose.

Maddie came running as soon as she caught sight of me and half hid behind me. "The twins have cooked up something again. But I'd better stay out of it."

"Finally there, too?" George leaned casually against the wall beside us. "If you're going to be our leader, you really need to take this more seriously."

I wanted to punch him. "You've obviously used the time wisely, haven't you?"

"Wisely?" hissed Maddie behind me, earning a wry grin from the redhead.

"Wisely! That's a good keyword. Surely you can guess what that potion should have been." George handed me a vial as well.

The pink liquid glistened in the light and the fine mist that rose had a subtle glint. I reluctantly waved it to myself, although I was already pretty sure what it was. My suspicions were immediately confirmed as the old familiar smell rose to my nose.

"So?" asked Maddie insecure.

"Lilac first." I held the potion closer, now knowing with certainty that there was no danger from the fumes. "Warm cocoa." An inane grin crept onto my face. I remembered very well my answer when Madame Poufeit had mixed the potion for us. "And New Year's."

"New Year's?" Maddie seemed to have gained more courage from me and waved some of the glittery vapor to herself. "What does New Year's smell like, please? And why this day of all days?"

I handed her the bottle and began to spread out my papers. "Haven't you ever been out on New Year's? At six in the morning, when all the revelers have gone to sleep? It's strangely still and quiet, and if you're lucky, the first wind of the year blows away the remnants of the smoke. Black powder and fire, but at the same time a cool freshness." Madame Poufeit had thought long and hard about my answer, but she had never told me what the potion smelled like to her.

"Then you're really lucky," George chortled. "I think it's pretty dusty."

My grin widened and maybe got a little cheekier - I was definitely spending too much time with the Weasleys. "You have old-fashioned taste, then? I thought Amortentia smelled like the things you're attracted to."

Immediately, Fred and Ginny froze in their fight. "That's cheating. You knew what it was!" The twin let go of his sister and put his hands on his hips. "You better not spoil anyone's surprise!"

"I smell freshly cut grass. And - urgs is that varnish?" Maddie took such deep breaths that I had to take the potion away from her to keep her from falling over from hyperventilating. "I want something cool like that!" she complained. "And not weed, lacquer, and apple pie."

"You know what that sounds like to me?", I appeased her after finding a cork for the bottle. "After a wonderful Sunday in your own little house. Your husband painting your fence, your kids playing on the lawn, and a fresh apple pie cooling on the windowsill, with apples from your garden."