28

Even though everyone spent the first few days creeping around as if they were afraid of waking up from a dream, eventually they all settled in. Ron taught me wizard chess and Mister Weasley was as happy as a little boy when I showed him the collection of Muggle artifacts my parents had on display in one of their gallery rooms.

"As if these devices weren't fascinating enough on their own," he grumbled as I showed him the egg timer that rang every time someone was about to die. Or the coffee maker that poisoned racists - I regretted to this day that my parents had to break the curse. Personally, I would have mass produced the thing.

Bill kept us company as I showed him the objects my parents had brought back from Greece. "Oh the fishhook that drilled into the noses of liars," he laughed in front of a display case. "That's what old Willbur really struggled with."

"Yet it really wasn't a wicked lie! He just claimed he was out for a walk so his wife wouldn't find out he was really looking for an engagement ring."

"Well," chortled Mister Weasley. "I guess a lie is a lie." And then in front of a deck of cards that always changed the motives of the cards in the middle of the game. "The twins better not see this."

"Don't see what?" came in sync from further back in the room. "This is very inspiring." With a laugh, the two disappeared between the shelves again.

"It's all locked away well, though, yes?" Mister Weasley looked around, "I can't guarantee anything with these two."

Meanwhile, Misses Weasley had managed to get Ginger and Carrot talking. Animatedly, they exchanged recipes in the living room while Ginny peered through the spyhole, giggling.

"Ricky has really taken a shine to our dear Maddie."

"Ricky?" She let me peek out, too, and there stood Maddie, flirting a bit awkwardly with our doorman, Richard.

"It's the feast of love," squeaked Mistle, peering through the elf door peephole further down.

And then Christmas Eve came, and suddenly Ricky was also sitting on our sofa in front of the fireplace, discussing the best Quidditch maneuvers with the Weasleys while the parents - they insisted I say Molly and Arthur - danced to an old Christmas carol. Eggnog and punch were served, and I was pretty sure even Ginny was a wee bit more excited than usual.

I sat on the stairs, a glass of hot chocolate in my hands, and watched the hustle and bustle. It was loud and lively and chaotic.

"Are you okay?" Mistle sat down next to me and poked her head through the rungs of the banister as well.

"Have my parents responded yet?"

Mistel misunderstood me and looked glum. "Unfortunately, no."

I patted her head. "That's fine. I don't want anything to spoil this memory."

There were sausages and potato salad, but about twelve different kinds and vegetarian alternatives and just more punch. Even I conceded defeat and drank a glass along. We played Parcheesi and even though she had no idea what she was doing, Molly won. Maddie and Ricky dozed off on the sofa after too much food and Ginny took pictures giggling while Hermione tried to stop her but had to giggle herself too.

"That was a good idea." George appeared next to me and gestured with his glass in the direction of his parents. Arm in arm, the two swayed a little beside the beat to the music. I spotted Mistle squatting in the gallery with Fred, a sprig of mistletoe on a fishing pole. Laughing, I almost spoiled the surprise when the branch landed with momentum between the parents, only to be immediately cranked back up a few inches above Arthur's head.