Chapter twenty-five: Trap Into the Death!

The group had been traveling for a while now, so much so that they had shattered the supplies that Romelle and Coran had given them. Two days later, Shiro, Hunk, and Pidge were sitting on the forest floor, waiting for Keith and Lance to return from hunting and gathering. Smiles appeared on the three faces when they saw them coming back.

"Great, you're back! What's for dinner?" Pidge asked.

"What do you think, fish?" Keith said.

"Yeah, we caught a smorgasbord." Lance said.

He was about to say something, when suddenly he realized he hadn't even thought of anything at all. He turned around to look at his friends and smiled again.

As everyone else began eating their food, Keith took a step backwards, looking down into the river as he was eating his fish as his mind was in other places, he still hasn't told Shiro about his sickness.

Even though he decided to wait, he knew somehow that Shiro wasn't going to tell him himself

without being so secretive about it. He just kept quiet.

Then Keith remembered what he had heard from Adam, which is why he was not afraid to talk.

Then suddenly a loud noise disrupted the calmness of the forest.

"What was that!?" Hunk asked worriedly. Another noise echoed throughout the forest.

"It's coming from over there!" Shiro pointed out. Shiro, Pidge, Hunk, Lance, and Keith rushed off in the direction of the noise, where they came across a village, where it was the same confrontation that the others had had many times before.

Something wasn't right in the village, and the locals could point to some strangely altered object or animal as the source of the problem. Upon investigation, there almost always turned out to be a Galra or a wild daemon involved.

This village, it seemed, was no different. A small group of local women and men had crowded around the group when they came into town. From the way they looked, it must have been immediately obvious that they could help.

"We only had normal bears in this area," the man said.

His friend added, "There was one that was more passive though. Sometimes it would avoid people when they were working in the fields... But one day it changed. Became even aggressive. Bigger, meaner. We... we don't know how many people it's killed."

"We understand!" Lance said.

And since the others had come this way because Shiro sensed some sort of unknown power, the story quickly became their business. Even Keith didn't argue as Lance assured the villagers that they would do everything they could to resolve the situation.

So they headed into the forest beyond the village, with Shiro in the lead.

"This way," Shiro instructed, pointing down a half-hidden track through the underbrush. "I sense it's this way. It's close by!"

"Are you sure?" Keith said.

"I'm positive, Keith." Shiro said.

"Okay." Keith said.

"Look like someone made up." Hunk said.

"Yeah I guess they did." Lance said. "Although, Keith is much quieter than before."

"Stats." Stats said.

"I kind of agree with you and Stats, Keith has been quiet." Katara said.

"You're right, It's almost like he knows something." Lance said.